Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:30 PM

What's happened to my Caret?

You know, the flashing vertical line that shows where text will be inserted. It's only happening on this forum - the Caret does not appear when starting a new line but does appear as I start typing. Anyone else getting this?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:32 PM

Re: What's happened to my Caret?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You know, the flashing vertical line that shows where text will be inserted. It's only happening on this forum - the Caret does not appear when starting a new line but does appear as I start typing. Anyone else getting this?
Ahem... cursor.

Have you checked your posting preferences in your profile?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Ahem... cursor.

Have you checked your posting preferences in your profile?
Of course not.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:54 PM

In most command-line interfaces or text editors, the text cursor, also known as a caret, is an underscore, a solid rectangle, or a vertical line, which may be flashing or steady, indicating where text will be placed when entered (the insertion point).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_navigation

It's not a word that I've ever used but it's certainly valid .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Microsoft Edge (chrome-based) is a bit strange with showing the cursor. It sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't.

I've hit the keyboard's F7 in Firefox and Edge a few times and this brings up a box mentioning 'caret browsing'. I've always just turned the message off and never looked into the advantages of disadvantages of using it.

Try pressing F7 to see if it makes a difference.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret_navigation

It's not a word that I've ever used but it's certainly valid .....
If I'm honest, I had to look it up because I didn't have a clue what it was called... and that's the word Google came up with.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Microsoft Edge (chrome-based) is a bit strange with showing the cursor. It sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't.

I've hit the keyboard's F7 in Firefox and Edge a few times and this brings up a box mentioning 'caret browsing'. I've always just turned the message off and never looked into the advantages of disadvantages of using it.

Try pressing F7 to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks mart but F7 doesn't do anything at all for me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 02:47 PM

It doesn't hurt to try emptying the cache. I don't think it should be anything to do with that but this is a bit like a browser version of 'have you tried turning it off and on again'. What browser are you using? Does different one behave in the same way?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It doesn't hurt to try emptying the cache. I don't think it should be anything to do with that but this is a bit like a browser version of 'have you tried turning it off and on again'. What browser are you using? Does different one behave in the same way?
Thanks mart. I cleared the cache but no change. I'm not too bothered but though maybe others were seeing the same. It has only happened recently.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

20-05-2020, 03:01 PM

If you are using Edge, it does behave like you say ..and only here. In which case it looks like it is a combination of the forum and the browser causing the anomilominily.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top