Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 07:56 PM

Real Player installs Norton Security

I downloaded and installed Real Player this afternoon, as I needed to view an mp4 video. I was unaware, incidentally, that Windows 10 cannot play mp4 videos.

Later on, a pop-up appeared announcing that Norton Security intends to make some changes.

Alarm bells rang immediately!
I have, of course, heard all sorts of scare stories about Norton and I began to fear the worst.

Fortunately, I appear to have removed it - I think.
I also uninstalled Real Player for good measure, and shall make every effort to remember never to touch it again. I detest these underhand tactics used by some software to install antivirus programmes without asking.

I suspect there has been some sort of warning, but I never saw it.

I'd just like to provide this information as a warning to anyone thinking of downloading Real Player.

Edit:
I have now found this:

NORTONSECURITY.EXE-38825EAD.pf

which I cannot delete. I have no idea what it is, but I'd like to get rid of it. Any ideas, please?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 08:53 PM

Re: Real Player installs Norton Security

yes should be easy to remove [B]BUT and a big BUT be very very careful

YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER THE COMPUTER REGISTRY LOOKING FOR ANYTHING WITH NORTON sECURITY

In the start box type in regedit.
A new page will come up with a heading computer

You are now about to get into the guts of the programs BE careful
click on computer and you get a drop down list of Hkeys

Start with hkey_ current_ user and another drop down list appears

go down to software and your computer programs appear in another drop down list

If you see yours is there right click on it and delete

Repeat with the hkey_local_ machine and see if it is there in the software do the same again

REMEMBER YOU ARE NOW IN THE COMPUTER REGISTRY AND I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH ONLY TRY AND FIND YOUR PROGRAM AND RIGHT CLICK TO DELEAT
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 08:59 PM

... or you could go to Add Remove Programs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:00 PM

Thanks Realspeed.

Actually, I now seem to have got rid of it all - I think - except for this:

I have no idea what a pf file might be.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Whew that sounds altogether less stressful.
I was having palpitations reading Realspeed's instructions.

Would an Execute file appear in programs?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
That doesn't always remove it from the registry some file parts may remain.

I have a program called Revo uninstaller which is worth buying it does a registry clearout as well automatically

Had this for many years and don't have to renew annually. I can highly recommed it.

If you see the offending program just click on it and then asks if you want it say in easy medium or strong removal (not those words exactly but you get the idea)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-06-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
That doesn't always remove it from the registry some file parts may remain.

I have a program called Revo uninstaller which is worth buying it does a registry clearout as well automatically

Had this for many years and don't have to renew annually. I can highly recommed it.

If you see the offending program just click on it and then asks if you want it say in easy medium or strong removal (not those words exactly but you get the idea)
Yes, thanks. I did use Revo Uninstaller, but that one pf file I mentioned remains.
It doesn't seem to do anything, thankfully, but I'd still like to see the back of it.

Personally, I'd like to see Norton banned throughout the world!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-06-2020, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Whew that sounds altogether less stressful.
I was having palpitations reading Realspeed's instructions.

Would an Execute file appear in programs?
If he followed them step by step it is the only way to definately get rid of unwanted programs. most DIY type programs do not clear the registry.

I had the same problem with a program called "Driver Detective ". didn't show up in add/remove nor in "C" drive program files , come to that not even in Revo
Going into regedit as I described I found it in both the above Hkey links I posted and there is was, so I right clicked on driver detective in them both and got rid of it.

So to really make sure it is off a computer it is the only way
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-06-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If he followed them step by step it is the only way to definately get rid of unwanted programs. most DIY type programs do not clear the registry.

I had the same problem with a program called "Driver Detective ". didn't show up in add/remove nor in "C" drive program files , come to that not even in Revo
Going into regedit as I described I found it in both the above Hkey links I posted and there is was, so I right clicked on driver detective in them both and got rid of it.

So to really make sure it is off a computer it is the only way
Thank you again.

I shall certainly venture into the registry, if absolutely necessary (it is scary!), if Norton should raise its ugly head again.

I remember years ago mistakenly downloading Norton (intentionally) and having the devil of a job getting rid of it. That was on an older computer, though.

In fact, I'm surprised I managed to remove this one relatively easily.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Realspeed.

Actually, I now seem to have got rid of it all - I think - except for this:

I have no idea what a pf file might be.
I know nothing about Microsoft or Windows machines as I use Apple Macs. However, a search revealed what that kind of file is, hope this is of some use, see link below:

https://www.reviversoft.com/file-extensions/pf

How you all tolerate what I read happens a lot of the time with Microsoft I just don't know. If it was me the computer would have gone out of the window by now!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top