Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 03:14 PM

Re: Real Player installs Norton Security

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The next time you want to install some free software, choose expert settings instead of normal so that you can agree or not to other bits of unwanted software (the despised Norton or McAffee for example) that are bundled with the program.
Yes, you're right.
In my haste I didn't see the check boxes I should have unchecked. In fairness, many of these are so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Judd. Very kind of you to think of me.

Unfortunately, this removal tool seems to be for the olde fashionede Windows 8 and earlier!

Not to worry. I think I've got rid of the Norton crap anyway.

On the other hand, it just goes to show how Norton has been a thorn in everyone's side for many years. It must be as generally despised as Tony B Liar!
Maybe the tool works better these days but when I used it, there were still files and Registry entries that could be removed manually. None that were going to do any harm by sitting there ..but present nonetheless.

Nearly all security programs have their removal tools. It's not just Norton that needs one.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
RE File History

I've tried initiating it on my desktop but was informed "Could not enable File History".

There could be several reasons for this but the most obvious one is that the Indexing service (Windows Search service) is disabled (because it is too resource-hungry). Windows Search looks for changes to backup files when using File History.
Since installing the May 2004 Windows Update on my laptop, I have re-enabled (the new, improved) Windows Search so I initiated File History and it works correctly (so far). I don't use my laptop often so it will take a week or so to see how File History performs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Let us know how you get on with EaseUS …..
Over a week later and I finally found time to try out EaseUS.

To be honest, I think I must be a bit thick because I couldn't work out what to do for the best. I did want to set it to do incremental backups, but the initial setup of what to copy and what not to copy just defeated me!

Well, at least I tried.

I thought the best thing I could do, rather than just go back to dragging and dropping everything I saved temporarily to OneDrive and DropBox, was to search for a really simple, child-orientated, mental-retard-accommodating backup software.

I finally found 'FreeFileSync' which I managed to understand.

I've just now done an initial backup of Documents, Pictures, Videos and Music, which took a little under one hour.

I opened my external hard drive and checked for one or two of my most recent new files and there they were. Great.

The layout of this software is, I think, easy to understand and includes a complete list of everything copied from the C: drive with a list of everything copied to the R: (in my case) drive. Easy to compare and, importantly for me, easy to extract later if needed for any reason.

I shall do periodic incremental backups to the
S: drive using File History
R: drive using FreeFileSync

Thanks. I'm grateful for your help, even though I didn't use the software you recommended.

I might even make a (small) donation to the publishers of this new software, and that's saying something for a tight-fisted Yorkie.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2020, 05:05 PM

The comprehensive backup packages frequently come with a 100-page manual which often confuses the issue, particularly when the user wants to be selective, so simple solutions are sometimes better, even for the experienced user.

Although I pay a premium for Macrium Reflect and its' imaging/cloning facilities I still use MS OneDrive, Google Drive, MS SyncToy and now (the newly resurrected) MS File History for those files/folders where a known destination/identity is preferred.

I have used FreeFileSync in the past, when I was restoring my "lost" MP3 files and, like you, found it easy to understand and use, so good luck with it .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-06-2020, 05:24 PM

The comprehensive backup packages frequently come with a 100-page manual which often confuses the issue, particularly when the user wants to be selective, so simple solutions are sometimes better, even for the experienced user.

Although I pay a premium for Macrium Reflect and its' imaging/cloning facilities I still use MS OneDrive, Google Drive, MS SyncToy and now (the newly resurrected) MS File History for those files/folders where a known destination/identity is preferred.

I have used FreeFileSync in the past, when I was restoring my "lost" MP3 files and, like you, found it easy to understand and use, so good luck with it .....
Thanks Omah.

I shall continue to use OneDrive and Dropbox on a temporary basis between backups, of course.

As for Macrium Reflect, although I'm sure it's an excellent bit of software for those with the understanding and capability (not me!), I think I'll delete it.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top