Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2020, 07:58 PM

Re: Foreign Aid department scrapped.

I think you'll find that "foreign aid" is mostly about providing tax payer funded subsidies in order to soften prices thus subsidising UK businesses in a way that doesn't fall foul of the loathsome European Commission. The sooner the stupid Transition period is ended the better.

There's been some fascinating things done to move money around in the past. One that impressed me more than most was how money was ghosted out of HK before the lease expired by the building of the Chek Lap Kok Airport to replace Kai Tak.

Built by businesses and corporations with very deep UK background but paid for with money that had been made in years past but never returned to UK tax zones it was one very smart way to launder billions so preventing it falling to the ROC or the UK tax authorities hands.

I'd have liked a slice of the action on that one!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 02:21 PM

More foreign aid abuse...

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/491923-uk-overseas-aid-wasted/
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... dirty secrets and filthy favours.

Except for the odd natural disaster, none of this "budget" is given for nothing in return.

I can't comment on the Ukraine but I can tell you for sure there are millions wasted making corrupt people rich in foreign aid...even funding drug barons who then flood our country and other parts of the world with illegal drugs ...I'm pleased they are scrapping the department I just wish they would scrap the budget too.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I think you'll find that "foreign aid" is mostly about providing tax payer funded subsidies in order to soften prices thus subsidising UK businesses in a way that doesn't fall foul of the loathsome European Commission. The sooner the stupid Transition period is ended the better.

There's been some fascinating things done to move money around in the past. One that impressed me more than most was how money was ghosted out of HK before the lease expired by the building of the Chek Lap Kok Airport to replace Kai Tak.

Built by businesses and corporations with very deep UK background but paid for with money that had been made in years past but never returned to UK tax zones it was one very smart way to launder billions so preventing it falling to the ROC or the UK tax authorities hands.

I'd have liked a slice of the action on that one!
Wow Todger? Is that what Mugabe did with his money?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Wow Todger? Is that what Mugabe did with his money?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
?

Nah.
Uncle Bob didn't eff about his diversion of foreign aid or what little wealth was left after the natives stole the farms from those with an IQ higher than the number of their teeth and turned to growing weeds, he just stole, shipped to Swiss banks, and in best African tradition murdered witnesses or anyone who complained.

He just ran to type. He hadn't got enough brain power to do anything beyond "You got, I want, I take" way of thinking typical of the Shona tribe of which he was a member.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:04 PM

So Cameron and chums think it is a big mistake to scrap this Free Meal Ticket and merge with Foreign Commonwealth Dept.
They want to be Philanthropits with Tax Payers money

Much the money goes to Dictators and the Military and Managers who get paid for not supervising the recipients of the money
I wonder if Cameron and others who object,wouldl like to donate 0.7% of their income to children in UK who have to go without food.
They have never experienced depravation, never been hungry or had shoes with holes in them and threadbare clothes.
They just do not live in the real world.

Of course some will say "They should not have children if they cant affored them"
Children grow out of their clothes at a fast rate and eat like Horses,
Basic pay in UK and State Benfit is not enough to keep a family
These children live of Chips and Bread and Jam when Schools are closed
Also it is a sad fact that some parents who must be mentally deficient ,spend money on alcohol and cigarettes, and domesticity is beyond them.

Why should the children suffer? They are to be treasured.
Many will be credit to this Country as adults.

There was time when neighbours would feed hungry chidren
whoever they belonged too. Those days seem to have now gone.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

18-06-2020, 06:23 PM

Basic pay plus child benefit plus means tested additional Benefits is MORE than enough to clothe and feed a family.

Moreover the infamous 0,7% is 0,7% of the GDP which is very different from anyone's income.

I fully support the "if you can't or won't feed 'em then don't feed 'em" principle. It's time to bring back Children's Homes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:35 PM

I live in hope that this apparent contraction of departments is reflected in a serious reduction of our outlay in so-called foreign aid.

I am led to believe that at least some of our money goes toward bribing foreign governments and businesses to benefit our country in some way, yet I also hear about blatant waste on such things as Nigerian girl pop groups.

Certainly, I think we should be paying out much less and definitely not to nonsensical things as what I have just mentioned. Any money we pay to foreigners should, at the end of the day, benefit us.

I get the feeling that some people in authority believe that we are still the world's great super power and feel the need to 'show off'.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

18-06-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I live in hope that this apparent contraction of departments is reflected in a serious reduction of our outlay in so-called foreign aid.

I am led to believe that at least some of our money goes toward bribing foreign governments and businesses to benefit our country in some way, yet I also hear about blatant waste on such things as Nigerian girl pop groups.

Certainly, I think we should be paying out much less and definitely not to nonsensical things as what I have just mentioned. Any money we pay to foreigners should, at the end of the day, benefit us.

I get the feeling that some people in authority believe that we are still the world's great super power and feel the need to 'show off'.
We should be paying out ZERO and walk away from the pointless Commonwealth and NATO.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We should be paying out ZERO and walk away from the pointless Commonwealth and NATO.
No I can't agree with that.

We need both allies and trading partners, especially now.

As for NATO, I think that those nations who refuse to pay the agreed proportion of their national income should be expelled. Then we should also think about places like Turkey.

Yes, it provides for American bases, but can Turkey be trusted? It hates a neighbouring NATO member, Greece.

As I understand it, NATO serves two purposes:
- it extends American military power throughout this part of the world;
- in return, American military power helps to protect member nations.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top