Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 07:26 PM

Re: Foreign Aid department scrapped.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No I can't agree with that.

We need both allies and trading partners, especially now.

As for NATO, I think that those nations who refuse to pay the agreed proportion of their national income should be expelled. Then we should also think about places like Turkey.

Yes, it provides for American bases, but can Turkey be trusted? It hates a neighbouring NATO member, Greece.

As I understand it, NATO serves two purposes:
- it extends American military power throughout this part of the world;
- in return, American military power helps to protect member nations.
America is at best a fair weather friend and having bases here increases our target value to the many and increasing number of enemies it has in the world.

In any case the justification for NATO ended in 1995, today our enemies are very different and already establishing colonies here.

If we have to buy trading partners then they're not worth having.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
America is at best a fair weather friend and having bases here increases our target value to the many and increasing number of enemies it has in the world.
Give me a list of all of our friends, fair weather or otherwise.

Give me a list of our enemies who are likely to target us.

Give me a list of our enemies who are likely to target American bases in the UK.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 08:55 PM

Give me a list of all of our friends, fair weather or otherwise.

Give me a list of our enemies who are likely to target us.

Give me a list of our enemies who are likely to target American bases in the UK.
When push comes to shove England has no friends.

Which of our enemies would target us - start with Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, etc.

Enemies who would target us because of the presence of American base here - all of Americas enemies and there's an ever increasing number of them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 09:30 PM

When push comes to shove England has no friends.
Quite probably true, though I suspect that we might rely on some, including the Five Eyes nations.

Which of our enemies would target us - start with Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, etc.
Do any of those have the ability to target our country, apart from sending us their unwanted dross of course?

Enemies who would target us because of the presence of American base here - all of Americas enemies and there's an ever increasing number of them.
Those who do have the ability wouldn't dare, because they'd be risking reprisals from at least two nuclear powers.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

19-06-2020, 09:43 AM

Quite probably true, though I suspect that we might rely on some, including the Five Eyes nations.

Do any of those have the ability to target our country, apart from sending us their unwanted dross of course?

Those who do have the ability wouldn't dare, because they'd be risking reprisals from at least two nuclear powers.
#1 if push came to shove it will be everyone for themselves

#2 Yes. And they would if only to take out American first line defensive systems.

#3 That would be of little comfort to us even if, and it's a BIG if any of the other nuclear powers of which there are many more than two decided to enter the game which I VERY much doubt and especially not America unless they saw it as a direct threat to themselves. It took the Zimmerman Telegram to get them to move from selling to both sides in pre-escalation WW1 and Pearl Germany declaring war on America to get them to step up in the case of WW2.

No nation can be trusted and especially not America.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-06-2020, 10:13 AM

#1 if push came to shove it will be everyone for themselves
Well, we'd have to wait and see, I suppose, although we and others, even the Frogs, have joined with America in conflicts in the Middle East.

#2 Yes. And they would if only to take out American first line defensive systems.
What? Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, etc? Perhaps they have a suicide wish!

#3 That would be of little comfort to us even if, and it's a BIG if any of the other nuclear powers of which there are many more than two decided to enter the game which I VERY much doubt and especially not America unless they saw it as a direct threat to themselves. It took the Zimmerman Telegram to get them to move from selling to both sides in pre-escalation WW1 and Pearl Germany declaring war on America to get them to step up in the case of WW2.
So you believe that if someone attacked American citizens and resources in this country, America would just sit back and accept it? And the same people attacked our own land, we would do the same?
I think you're running out of ideas and certainly I have seen no evidence to support your opinions.

Getting back on-topic. Perhaps you are suggesting that if we don't pay foreign aid we shall be attacked by Pakistan, Iraq, Iran and others, or have I missed your point?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

19-06-2020, 10:32 AM

Well, we'd have to wait and see, I suppose, although we and others, even the Frogs, have joined with America in conflicts in the Middle East.

What? Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, etc? Perhaps they have a suicide wish!

So you believe that if someone attacked American citizens and resources in this country, America would just sit back and accept it? And the same people attacked our own land, we would do the same?
I think you're running out of ideas and certainly I have seen no evidence to support your opinions.

Getting back on-topic. Perhaps you are suggesting that if we don't pay foreign aid we shall be attacked by Pakistan, Iraq, Iran and others, or have I missed your point?
I think you've missed my point - or maybe I'm just a cynical old bastard and believe that in today's world very different values exist when it comes to international relations that even fifty years ago.

Just touching on Pakistan, Iraq, and Iran it's not a case of "don't pay rue the the the day" it's a case of them having the capability to inflict nuclear strikes on the UK and I firmly believe they would, especially Iraq and Iran if part of a strike against America.

I firmly believe that the UK should "Do a Switzerland", only retain a domestic defence force only, get out of NATO, and move into the banking and tax haven business and stop pretending to be a world power which we patently obviously have not been for decades.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-06-2020, 10:38 AM

Just touching on Pakistan, Iraq, and Iran it's not a case of "don't pay rue the the the day" it's a case of them having the capability to inflict nuclear strikes on the UK and I firmly believe they would, especially Iraq and Iran if part of a strike against America.
Pakistan is known to have nuclear weapons. Do they have the means to fire them all the way to the UK? They would surely need ICBMs. India has a space programme, so it is possible that they have the means, but not Pakistan.

I confess that I was completely unaware that Iran and Iraq also possessed nuclear weapons. When did this happen?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

19-06-2020, 10:47 AM

Pakistan is known to have nuclear weapons. Do they have the means to fire them all the way to the UK? They would surely need ICBMs. India has a space programme, so it is possible that they have the means, but not Pakistan.

I confess that I was completely unaware that Iran and Iraq also possessed nuclear weapons. When did this happen?
In the case of delivering a nuclear device it could be sent by cargo plane. Same with biological weapons, eggs in thermos flasks.

As for atomic weapons in the middle East - and elsewhere of course they abound, North Korea has been exporting them for a couple of years now. Probably Pakistan has been doing the same.

Look, if a thing can be made it can be sold if someone wants it and buying is a whole lot easier than making.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 10:47 AM

I think it's right that we should stop sending these brown envelopes elsewhere.

After all, nobody, in the UK, would ever stoop so low as to accept a bribe to get an advantage!

Trouble is, we're not stopping sending the envelopes - we're just renaming the system.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top