Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:28 PM

Relationship Exit Plans?

A friend tells me that his daughter is about to move in with her boyfriend.

No surprise there, these days.

Then he told me about the agreements, which they have put in place, in case it all goes wrong.

Apart from the usual separate bank accounts, there are plans for who goes where, when they split, who everything belongs to, who pays for what.

Things have changed, totally, from when I was a lad, as we believed that nothing could possibly go wrong - so why talk about what might.

Does this show a modern lack of confidence in their relationship?

Or are they just being sensible!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:32 PM

Re: Relationship Exit Plans?

sounds sensible to me. Pre nuptual agreements are legal here which seems sensible too.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Seems rather clinical, and not a good start if they lack so much confidence in their relationship, whatever happened to "for better or worse" ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Just being sensible. I've known of a few young couples who have moved in together only to split up after a couple of months as the harsh realities of maintaining a home hit them. It's all well and good seeing each other for a few hours every week but to be locked in together for days on end with one or both not pulling their weight in sharing chores such as cooking and cleaning soon causes arguments and the inevitable separation.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 12:45 PM

From what I know of today, its the right way.

We know of someone whose marriage ended.... the husband move out, the wife had to increase the mortgage to buy him out.

Later she met someone else, he moved in.... 14 months later he moved out, he also wanted half of the house.

Costly legal actions took place.... He didn't get half, but she had to sell the house to pay him thousands of pounds.

She was left homeless and with debt.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 02:48 PM

If it works for them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 03:30 PM

Amanita phalloides omelette works well as a simple means of breaking up.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A friend tells me that his daughter is about to move in with her boyfriend.

No surprise there, these days.

Then he told me about the agreements, which they have put in place, in case it all goes wrong.

Apart from the usual separate bank accounts, there are plans for who goes where, when they split, who everything belongs to, who pays for what.

Things have changed, totally, from when I was a lad, as we believed that nothing could possibly go wrong - so why talk about what might.

Does this show a modern lack of confidence in their relationship?

Or are they just being sensible!

I couldn’t possibly enter into a relationship like that.

Trust is one of the first important factor in any relationship.

My son is the same as them....these days if they have their own properties then they have a lot to lose.

He won’t risk that....his partner and him both have their own properties...he won’t even give her a key either.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 08:10 PM

Very sensible. Even if I had the inclination to have a relationship now (which I don't) I wouldn't even move in with anyone these days - Live Apart Together is the ultimate in common sense. Both people keep their own possessions and property and have separate finances but enjoy a relationship.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 08:25 PM

It's a good idea ... I know it might make it seem that romance is dead but each half of the partnership can feel more secure and comfortable within the relationship because they're not trapped in it, and should it happen, if it helps bring about an amicable split that's got to be better for both of them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top