Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:18 PM

Re: Is being generous really a kindness?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Something a little more controversial
What do you think about free meals in the summer holidays for children of poor families ?
I was all for it at first but then I thought will it just be something people will get used too.
Have children without thought because at the end of the day someone will feed them
This is a difficult one Muddy, because it isn't the child's fault that it's parents don't provide for it. It would be interesting to see their regular shopping bills though, to discover how much alcohol & fags are on them. A meal for a child's lunch wouldn't cost much, so I don't object to the child being fed, but I would be very angry if I discovered that a parent put their own wants ahead of their childs needs.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

How cynical some of you are.

Food Banks are critical to some.
But not for all Swim! If people think can get something for nothing, they all want some, but some don't really need it & that reduces the amount those in real need get!
Any good parent would make feeding their child their priority!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:30 PM

Hi

Only those who misspent the tax payers money on non essentials. "Food Banks" are a self fulfilling thing. They should be closed.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
This is a difficult one Muddy, because it isn't the child's fault that it's parents don't provide for it. It would be interesting to see their regular shopping bills though, to discover how much alcohol & fags are on them. A meal for a child's lunch wouldn't cost much, so I don't object to the child being fed, but I would be very angry if I discovered that a parent put their own wants ahead of their childs needs.
Parent/s get tax payers money in the form of Benefits. If kids need to be fed then garnish whatever money the parent/s get.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

08-07-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Parent/s get tax payers money in the form of Benefits. If kids need to be fed then garnish whatever money the parent/s get.
That would cost more to implement than the cost of the child's dinner!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:39 PM

The saying is....Give a man a fish & he can feed his family for a day, give the man a rod & line & he can feed his family for ever. Guess that's fine if you live near water, but not much use in our modern everyday now.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:42 PM

But not for all Swim! If people think can get something for nothing, they all want some, but some don't really need it & that reduces the amount those in real need get!
Any good parent would make feeding their child their priority!
Hi

Yes, but how do we differentiate?

It is a difficult issue.

Some simply cannot do so.

Many have fallen foul of The Virus payouts, they had changed jobs so did not qualify for any payouts.

The decent honest ones are suffering, the scam artists are not.

We have a stupid system here which needs changing.

We give money to all, who can spend it as they wish, on drugs, fags and booze.

They do not even pay their rent and we rehouse them without penalty.

We need to change the system. pay rents direct and give out food and clothing vouchers.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

08-07-2020, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
The saying is....Give a man a fish & he can feed his family for a day, give the man a rod & line & he can feed his family for ever. Guess that's fine if you live near water, but not much use in our modern everyday now.
I think those sayings are a bit outdated now Tiff. Many fishermen have to pay to use their rods where they can catch normal edible fish.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

08-07-2020, 02:48 PM

That would cost more to implement than the cost of the child's dinner!
Not necessarily but in any case there's an important principle involved.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Something a little more controversial
What do you think about free meals in the summer holidays for children of poor families ?
I was all for it at first but then I thought will it just be something people will get used too.
Have children without thought because at the end of the day someone will feed them
I think that this has set a precedent for all future summer holidays to come. I can even see the Grauniad's headlines next year: "Tories guilty of starving poor kids during summer hols."

Hi

Every visit to Tesco sees me buy a box of teabags for the foodbank box. At least the recipient can have a hot drink.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top