Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Re: gas and electric bill

We pay £104 DD for gas and electricity for a three bed semi detached. We are on a fixed rate with Scottish Power till next March so no price change when they put the price up. After that I will phone them because I think we are paying too much.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Four bed detached, centrally heated house which is insulated about as well as we can achieve. I cook with gas and the gas also heats the water. Paying by DD - Gas is £54.00 per month and Electricity is £37.00 per month We are with British Gas for both fuels. For some reason they lowered the elecricity DD about a year ago. We are fairly economical with the use of the heating and may live a bit cooler compared with other households.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 09:09 PM

I am interested to know what DD is and how you get into credit? You can get into credit if your roof solar cells put in more power than you use and you sell the surplus to the grid.

Just for your interest - I don't have gas though it is much cheaper than electric, in my four bedroom house my electric bill is about $1000 a year (£500). The power bill has doubled over the last 5 years due to investment in 'poles and wires' - bastards! Obviously I don't have solar cells.

Gas is also much cheaper than petrol at 68c a litre (40p) compared to $1.37 a litre for E10 unleaded at the pump.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 09:18 PM

DD is monthly direct debit, they estimate how much gas and electric you will use over the next twelve months to set your payments, if you don't use as much as they have estimated you become in credit.
With this system you are usually in credit over the summer months, because you don't use as much, but then you make up for it in the winter months.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2012, 10:38 PM

I have a usage meter, a great bit of kit, it tells you how much you are using as you go along, it tells you how much you use daily and monthly.
We are trying something now which some don't agree with, we switch off the heating when we go out and back on when we come in, the theory is that if it is on it is costing you money.
It does seem to be working, we shall see.
http://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving...ergy-monitors/
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2012, 08:51 AM

We don't have to switch off the heating - it's on a timer. It comes on for a while in the mornings (longer now because we're having clear frosty nights) and for a short while in the evening. Each room has thermostatic valves and there's a master thermostat in the hall.

I've often wondered about 'zone' controls, but the physical layout of the house would be awkward.
Caedmon
Hull, England
Caedmon is male  Caedmon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 04:07 PM

I recently checked my gas meter. I put in 25 quid just before xmas 2010 and found I had £19.10 pence still left in.

I'll try to cook a little less in future
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Caedmon ->
I recently checked my gas meter. I put in 25 quid just before xmas 2010 and found I had £19.10 pence still left in.

I'll try to cook a little less in future
whose your gas supplier I want them
ah you didn't mention electric
Caedmon
Hull, England
Caedmon is male  Caedmon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 04:46 PM

My lecky runs at just under a fiver weekly - I live very simply

Never heat my house no matter the weather

Reason I don't use much gas? Well a few years back as a lone parent the gas was being deducted from my (at the time) benefits. However there was a glitch - not my fault - a long story - and they sent me a bill for 969 quid - to be paid in 7 days. So I took that as a declaration of war
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2012, 05:03 PM

Do you have a lot of friends you visit or do you sit in a big shopping Mall, you can't spend that much time in bed, can you?? I like stories long or short I don't mind.
Gabi I've just been on to Southern Elec who are my suppliers and they'ved refunded me almost £400 for gas and elec and dropped my elec and capped it for 2 yrs or I could have had another option but I've forgotten the name but it's lower than standard tarriff, so if you think you're paying too much check with them cos they'll esimate how much your likely to use against how much you'll pay.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top