Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Gas Cooker and Chains..

I'm traveling back South in a few days as I have the Gas People coming to Service the Boiler in my own home in Perth, During a phone call to my best friend who also lives in Perth I mentioned this and she told me that the man who came to do hers disconnected her gas cooker because it was not bolted and chained to the wall??? HUH. Mine's not either and I'll have a blue fit if he tries to do this to me. Do any of you Fellas know what this is all about?
My friend Joan also told me she couldn't get anyone to do the job as it was such a small thing people weren't interested. She ended up getting a drill and doing it herself.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Re: Gas Cooker and Chains..

Ours is just connected to the wall by the flexible gas pipe, but it has been in for a long time, so I don't know if there is a new health and safety rule to stop you pulling it out too far and damaging it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:04 PM

Why would he disconnect the cooker !
What has that to do with a boiler service - I've never heard the like
Had a boiler serviced many times - he never even looked at me cooker !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Roxy We don't have gas here but I had a new freestanding electric cooker installed this year and I presented the fitters with gliding cups to go on the feet of the cooker to enable me to slide it out with ease when I wish to clean underneath.

The fitters then told me they were supposed to attach the cooker to the wall so I would not be able to move it . Apparently there is some sort of health and safety ruling which says cookers must be attached to the wall to prevent them falling on the user .

I told the fitters I had been moving cookers out to clean behind them for over 50 years and lived to tell the tale

They did as they were told and connected the cooker without attaching it to the wall leaving me to be crushed as requested
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:15 PM

She lives in a Council House, they were there to service the boiler and heating system.....They also checked her cooker and fire even though she owns them, she had a safety check cert for the fire as she gets that done herself every year but not for the cooker, neither of us realised you needed one done on the cooker.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

01-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Meg, I've never heard of this before, my cooker is very heavy and certainly won't topple over........stinks of a money making scam to me.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Your friends gas fitter could have offered to fit a chain for her, it would have been easier than her having to call someone else out to fit a chain and reconnect the cooker.
When the fitter comes to service my central heating he won't be disconnecting my cooker, I'll make sure of that.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Meg, I've never heard of this before, my cooker is very heavy and certainly won't topple over........stinks of a money making scam to me.
...neither had I Roxy and I was astonished when they fitters said they were going to attach my cooker to the wall
If I hadn't produced the gliders they would have gone ahead and fixed it to the wall without my say so .

They soon got the message it was my house and they would do as they were told .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:26 PM

We were told it was to stop damage to the pipes, if you can pull the cooker out too far you can damage the gas pipe. Made sense to us and as it unclips from the cooker you can easily unclip it and pull the cooker out further. TBH I thought all gas cookers were fitted like this.
Jimmy
Lancashire

01-09-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We were told it was to stop damage to the pipes, if you can pull the cooker out too far you can damage the gas pipe. Made sense to us and as it unclips from the cooker you can easily unclip it and pull the cooker out further. TBH I thought all gas cookers were fitted like this.
Well that's handy, a fixed chain that you can unclip, that's not very safe is it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top