Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:39 PM

Re: Gas Cooker and Chains..

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Well that's handy, a fixed chain that you can unclip, that's not very safe is it?
It is actually as it means you can't just drag the cooker out forgetting how short the pipe is, the action of stopping to unclip the chain makes you realise you have to be more careful and not pull it out too far.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 02:46 PM

Our pipe is long enough to pull the cooker out far enough to be able to get behind it, when the chap comes to service the boiler he never looks at the cooker, just does the boiler.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Meg, I've never heard of this before, my cooker is very heavy and certainly won't topple over........stinks of a money making scam to me.
There you have it - got to be that !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Our pipe is long enough to pull the cooker out far enough to be able to get behind it, when the chap comes to service the boiler he never looks at the cooker, just does the boiler.
Probably like us you just pay for the boiler service. Our cooker only gets looked at when the council forget we are shared ownership and include us in the council flat schedule, happened twice now LOL.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Roxy We don't have gas here but I had a new freestanding electric cooker installed this year and I presented the fitters with gliding cups to go on the feet of the cooker to enable me to slide it out with ease when I wish to clean underneath.

The fitters then told me they were supposed to attach the cooker to the wall so I would not be able to move it . Apparently there is some sort of health and safety ruling which says cookers must be attached to the wall to prevent them falling on the user .

I told the fitters I had been moving cookers out to clean behind them for over 50 years and lived to tell the tale

They did as they were told and connected the cooker without attaching it to the wall leaving me to be crushed as requested
When we had a gas cooker it was chained to the wall. I am no expert but I don't think it's anything to do with it falling on top of you, it's more likely to be so you don't pull it too far from the fixed gas pipe that the flexible gas pipe gets broken causing a gas leak.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Now, that does make sense, yes ours had flexible pipe, could see that as a concern ....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
When we had a gas cooker it was chained to the wall. I am no expert but I don't think it's anything to do with it falling on top of you, it's more likely to be so you don't pull it too far from the fixed gas pipe that the flexible gas pipe gets broken causing a gas leak.
Alan as I said in my earlier post it was a free standing electric cooker I had fitted . There is no gas in our tiny village.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Never heard of it over here, but it won't be long until they cop on to it, must be just another greedy brainwave to bleed more money from the customer.
I always thought it was only the women who were chained to the gas stove.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always thought it was only the women who were chained to the gas stove.
Not me Jem
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2013, 01:08 AM

Never heard of this but I pay for my boiler to be serviced, not my cooker, although I suppose it should cover all gas appliances for safety's sake.

Mindst, that's a tale in itself!

A couple of years ago I smelled gas and, although I always keep my window "locked open" to four inches, it came over very strongly, so I got a plumber in who discovered that I had a ruptured gas pipe to my cooker. No wonder gas was costing me a fortune, but I'd been lucky because I'd kept a window open, but nothing was mentioned about it being chained to the wall then.

A boiler service doesn't usually cover other gas appliances though.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top