Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Most economical way to dry clothes?

Funnily enough I have an easier time in the Winter drying clothes than at this time of the year, reason being I have a combined living / kitchen room and hang my clothes on a clothes thing (horse?), with the heat from the fire drying them quite quickly, but with the warmer weather the fire will remain off. Just wondering how to avoid using the tumble dryer all the time as I will be needing to wash / dry clothes 2x a day (running gear)?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Re: Most economical way to dry clothes?

They will still dry just take longer, can you stand it in front of a sunny window ? I usually hang things on the curtain rail on clothes hangers and they dry quite fast especially if I can get the window open too.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:15 PM

It's easier to dry stuff with the heating on.
My radiators do a good job and I don't have a tumble dryer but as I rarely wash anything, its not a great problem

This is def the way to go.
Wear the same clothes every day and either throw them out when they fall apart and buy new, or wash them once a year .... sorted
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They will still dry just take longer, can you stand it in front of a sunny window ? I usually hang things on the curtain rail on clothes hangers and they dry quite fast especially if I can get the window open too.
Hadn't thought of that, and yes I could position the clothes horse in a different room right in front of the bay windows, and also open the windows too.

Nice one .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

07-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Wear the same clothes every day and either throw them out when they fall apart and buy new, or wash them once a year .... sorted
Even I couldn't tolerate that with running clothes - they stink after just one run, and I mean STINK!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

07-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Brilliant. Moved the clothes horse to the unused front room, which has a bay window flooded with sun, and moved the TV from it's spot replacing it with the clothes horse. It is very warm there and I have also opened windows on both sides of the clothes horse. Should dry in no time at this time of the day.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Have you got outside space to dry clothes? I think there's little substitute for hanging out the clothes on a line. However, sometimes it rains, so as a back-up, I have a good old fashioned clothes pulley in the utility room. Then there's always the airing cupboard or over radiators, and as a last resort, the tumble drier. It's only been used twice this year.

Remember, if you dry clothes inside - the moisture has to go somewhere.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:50 PM

I presume you haven't got anywhere to hang a washing line? I don't have a clothes dryer and hang my washing around the house in Winter. The bed sheets go on the doors. Today I have hung some washing out in the garden on the line. It had rained for 24 hours but now the sun is out and it is quite warm.
Will bring them in later to put on the radiators to air off as the nights are still cold so central heating on. Summertime they are out on the washing line all of the time. Nothing like fresh smelling clothes and towels which have been outside.
Rachel I cant believe you don't wash your clothes. You have to care for yourself girl. It makes you feel happy to put something nice and clean on and especially if you go out and people comment on how good you look.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Rachel I cant believe you don't wash your clothes. You have to care for yourself girl. It makes you feel happy to put something nice and clean on and especially if you go out and people comment on how good you look.
I wuz only jokin'
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:13 PM

I hang things on the clothes maiden when I go to bed in the kitchen, rereading this sounds as if I go to bed in the kitchen, I dont, thats where I dry things over night. in winter its OK but you cant beat the smell of clothes hung out side to dry. I wouldnt have a clothes dryer for anything, they dont smell fresh.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top