Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Re: Most economical way to dry clothes?

Radiators for me in the winter and on hangers for blouses, shirts and jumpers on the curtain rail in the sun or on the washing line when it's warm out.
Don't own a tumble dryer either.
My towels do get hard in the winter
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:49 PM

I don't have a tumble drier they are too expensive to run. I have a rotary line outside and manage to get my clothes dry outside most months of the year by watching the weather.
Other than that I have a clothes horse in the house .

Clothes dried outside smell nice and fresh
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:52 PM

I couldn't be without my tumble drier our outside opportunities to dry are very limited (4 rotary driers between 44 flats) and have had many items go missing over the years so it's cheaper to run the drier than lose another lot of washing !
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 03:55 PM

I don't have a tumble dryer either, seems not many of us on here do. I hang mine out when possible and on radiators in spare room when not. I have a very sunny side porch and that airs them.

Do people still 'air' clothes to finish off drying properly? I mentioned this to my 30year old daughter and she didn't know what I meant!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I don't have a tumble dryer either, seems not many of us on here do. I hang mine out when possible and on radiators in spare room when not. I have a very sunny side porch and that airs them.

Do people still 'air' clothes to finish off drying properly? I mentioned this to my 30year old daughter and she didn't know what I meant!!!
Yes Jennifer I do I also have pure cotton sheets (no polyester for me thank you) and they have to be ironed while damp and aired before being put away
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Oh thought it wasn't just me!! I like things properly aired and oh, pure cotton what a luxury!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 04:45 PM

I don't own a tumble dryer either, the reason being the cost to run it. During the winter months I dry my washing on my 3 tiered clothers airer...... it dries overnight and is ready to iron the following day.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 04:48 PM

I can't understand people pinching washing!
Would you really want to dry yourself on someone else's towels, wear another's socks or worse

We have poly cotton duvet covers and fitted bottom sheets, they don't need much ironing, which I don't like anyway and I do try to hang them on the line so they are not too creased.
Do people still fold their sheets and put them on the ironing board to iron their clothes over? It is something my grandmother used to do and I've always done it too.
They need airing after.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 04:49 PM

I have never found it costs that much to use ours, the conventional pipe out the window one is cheaper than the condensing one we had but that only cost us about £40 per annum to run the new one will be about £30 per annum. Not bad for less washing hanging around and less condensation in the flat.
muffin
Surrey, UK
muffin is female  muffin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:11 PM

I do dry some things in the dryer in winter like towels, underwear and bedding
but never jumpers, or cotton teashirts dresses etc as they quite often will shrink.
things dried in my drier don't need ironing so one compensates for the other
no extra money on bills for the ironing, but do have to iron cotton items.
i just put other wet items on a clothes stand and they dry pretty quickly

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top