Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Re: Most economical way to dry clothes?

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Hi Rachel, did you know you should always wash clothes from the store before wearing them? You can't win there unfortunately I remember reading years ago about people in the garments industry stating that clothes, materials are dipped in chemicals before being sold to stores
For years & years I never put on items without a go in the machine. I cringe a little just trying things on!
Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I forgot to mention, I'm sure you've noticed a weird, chemical smell on new clothes?
Originally Posted by Janela ->
Now you have me worried AC. I'm wearing a new tee shirt and hubby is giving me funny looks because I have been sniffing at it.
To be honest, it doesn't smell funny
Yes they do usually smell slightly odd and often, in the past, I've had to leave certain shops because of the 'chemical fumes' making my eyes water
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 01:53 PM

What's in your new brand name clothing?
After clothes are made, they are often covered with formaldehyde to keep them from wrinkling or becoming mildewed during shipping. Formaldehyde as a preservative also adds to vaccines' toxicity.

Several severe allergic reactions to formaldehyde have been reported. It's no wonder. Investigations have discovered up to 500 times the safe level of formaldehyde in clothing shipped to brand name clothiers form factories in China and Southeast Asia.

There's also the long term, negative, cumulative effect on health that is almost impossible to trace back to any source of clothing chemicals. Formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals are used to create synthetic fibers for towels and bedding. Textile toxins are hard to avoid even when you're out of your clothes.

Another commonly used clothing chemical is nonylphenol ehtoxylate (NPE). NPE use is restricted in most regions where the big name brand clothes are sold. But there are no restrictions where the clothing factories are located in China and Southeast Asia. 14 big name brands get their clothing from clothing factories using NPE.

Wrinkle free or no-iron should be considered a warning for carcinogenic perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs). Teflon for pans is a PFC. Petrochemical dyes are used for fibers in those Asian textile factories that profusely pollute nearby waterways.

Dr. Richard Dixon of the World Wildlife Federation warns about the ecological impact on wildlife: "Urgent action is needed to replace hazardous chemicals with safer alternatives especially in clothing and other consumer products." (Emphasis added).

Nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs) are commonly used as detergents in textile industries abroad that are contracted by multi-national USA and EU-based clothing companies. NPEs break down to form nonylphenol, a toxin with hormone-disrupting properties similar to BPA. (http://www.naturalnews.com)

Black clothing and dyes for leathers often contain p-Phenylenediamine (PPD), which can produce allergic reactions. Flame retardants can appear in bedding and nightwear. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and dioxin-producing bleach are used by textile industries. Athletic shoes that contain cloth contain some of these toxins.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2014, 01:12 AM

We hang ours on the clothesline in the basement /recroom. In the winter when the furnace comes on, they dry in no time.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 05:11 PM

We live on the third floor and there is no lift, so although we have access to an outdoor drying area it was becoming more and more difficult for me to hump stuff up and down two flights of stairs. Then trolling through the shopping channels I saw a thing called a dri-buddy, which consists of a hot air fan on legs which point upwards into a nylon cover over a 6 armed pole that holds 18 hangers. (if description is ropy look for yourselves lol) it works brilliantly and is actually quite cheap to run too.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2014, 07:54 PM

I dry mine on a maiden too in front of my bedroom window as it gets all the sun and the washing doesn't clutter up the rest of the house, plus visitors wouldn't be faced with my unmentionables on show!, if that was the case I might have to charge an entrance fee

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top