Join for free
Page 5 of 31 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Re: Syria conflict; how would you vote.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Interesting responses, i wonder what the people of Syria want from the rest of the world.
Nom I would imagine the majority as with any other human would want to live a peaceful life in their own country.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Exactly Steve and lets start with the oil shall we.
Cut off the oil ISIS is selling for starters.
I am sure you will remember the first gulf war in 1991 and Sadam setting fire to the oil wells in Kuwait, I am sure we could do something similar to ISIS.

Apparently millions of pounds have been donated to ISIS from 'benefactors', who are they and how can we hit them the hardest ...
Rumours abound on the internet that some of their largest customers are in a certain state not far away from Syria's Northern Border.

I'm pretty sure the U.S knows all about this too so for me, stopping the flow of ISIS Oil and incoming money and arms would be far better than destroying some of Iraq's much-needed oil assets which is still in "enemy" hands. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 04:50 PM

I never fail to be surprised at how there are so many posters on these geo-political problem threads who think they know better than the combined heads of state of European and other great western nations put together.
I am also surprised that you all consider your naive speculative propositions to be new, important and never before thought of or considered by even the dumbest of politicians involved in trying to find practical solutions.
There is always a 'greater global picture' to be considered before any decisions are made or any actions taken.
Conserving and protecting the western nations' status quo is never a simple matter.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I never fail to be surprised at how there are so many posters on these geo-political problem threads who think they know better than the combined heads of state of European and other great western nations put together.
I am also surprised that you all consider your naive speculative propositions to be new, important and never before thought of or considered by even the dumbest of politicians involved in trying to find practical solutions.
There is always a 'greater global picture' to be considered before any decisions are made or any actions taken.
Conserving and protecting the western nations' status quo is never a simple matter.
Lol. Azz may as well shut this forum down then. What is the point of it according to you . It is fun and informative (sometimes) for us armchair pseudo-intellectuals to voice our opinion. To vegetate is the kiss of death to me - stimulation is the name of the game with regard to us old fogies.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 05:58 PM

Now you're teasing us aren't you?
How could we do a worse job with our puny speculations as we sip our cocoa?

I've just read France, now gung-ho and determined to smash ISIS have mooted the possibility of working closer with the Syrian regime.
Syrian troops could be used to help fight Isis, France's foreign minister says ..

“Troops on the ground cannot be ours, but [there can be] Syrian soldiers from the Free Syrian Army, Sunni Arab states, and why not regime troops

without the Syrian president,
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ted-says-putin

Erm ... good luck with that very workable sounding suggestion Mr Fabius.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 06:01 PM

Malcolm the heads of state are mere humans like the rest of us and some of them in the not to distant past haven't got a very good track record when it comes to deciding what is best for our country or the rest of the world Bush and Blair for example. Not all heads of state have our best interests at heart, they are busy thinking of their own

On the contrary Malcolm, I have heard a lot of politicians on all sides of the political divide and defence experts some of whom took part in the Iraq and Afghanistan agree with our 'naive speculation' .
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 06:40 PM

No we shouldnt go in to Syria,the west has done enough damage in the middle east, its because we have meddled that we are having terrorists attacks now, there will always be conflict out there due to religious parties warring with each other,Isis blames western states for what they have done, more British born Muslims are leaving to join them, feeling they are unwanted here. How can we decide who is right/wrong for the people who live there.? We had attacks by the IRA but we kept cool and a solution was found.We had five long years of war in the 40's, sure that we would destroy the nazis, now they are gathering again. I know Countries pledge to help each other if they are attacked,and what happened in Paris was dreadful,but must we always feel we must meddle in another Country
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-11-2015, 06:43 PM

I don't give a damn if every Arab kills his brother Arab but I do mind very much indeed when they kill us.

In straightforward, devastating testimony, Eliza Manningham-Buller told the Chilcot inquiry how she had warned about what sensible – but mostly frightened to speak out – senior Whitehall officials believed in 2003: that the invasion of Iraq would increase the terrorist threat to the UK.

More than once, the former head of MI5 emphasised to the Chilcot inquiry that the invasion exacerbated the terrorist threat to the UK and was a "highly significant" factor in how "home-grown" extremists justified their actions.

"Our involvement in Iraq radicalised a few among a generation of young people who saw [it] as an attack upon Islam," she said.

Manningham-Buller said she was therefore not surprised that UK citizens were involved in the 7/7 suicide attacks in London or by the increase in the number of Britons "attracted to the ideology of Osama bin Laden" who saw the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan as threatening their co-religionists and the Muslim world".

The invasion of Iraq "undoubtedly" increased the terrorist threat in Britain, she said.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/j...ningham-buller

Originally Posted by Malcolm
say act now and give them everything we have in the way of organised and disciplined warfare and do not stop until the threat has been eliminated and all the murderers are gone.
Malcolm do you really think that our sending a few bombers to Syria will do anything more than add to the existing chaos, ISIS is not one group existing in Syria it is hundreds of little radicalised groups with different names throughout the world intent on coming to the aid of and avenging their Muslim brothers.
You can't talk about 'disciplined warfare' this is like no other war we have faced.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Bomb Syria and they will move somewhere else, and it will go on and on.
You can't get this type of terrorist around the table because they are not the negotiating type.
Just keep our own country safe, by more police and forces here and let them sort their own countries out.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2015, 06:56 PM

I have to say, I agree with Malcolm!
I am also, finding some of the posts in various threads here and on other sites, quite scaremongering. Some crying out to 'nuke them' and worse! If I took notice of everything written, I would just give up living and never leave my house again. I might sound naive and have my head stuck in the sand but I am not going to worry about anything until it happens.

Page 5 of 31 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top