Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Re: No dates on Tesco veg

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I buy apples from Tesco on a regular basis Longdogs (an apple a day and all that healthy stuff) and the quality varies no end.
Sometimes fresh, crunchy and juicy, and other times dry and yucky....It makes you wonder just how old these apples really are.....

Anyway......You come from darn sarf, I thought all you southerners were 'Floppy'......
I don't know where you heard that Foxy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I buy apples from Tesco on a regular basis Longdogs (an apple a day and all that healthy stuff) and the quality varies no end.
Sometimes fresh, crunchy and juicy, and other times dry and yucky....It makes you wonder just how old these apples really are.....

Anyway......You come from darn sarf, I thought all you southerners were 'Floppy'......
That's soft not floppy Something we try to deny but know in our hearts might just be true.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's soft not floppy Something we try to deny but know in our hearts might just be true.
Not such a bad quality to have Julie....
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 07:19 PM

I bought potatoes, carrots, parsnips, sprouts and cauliflowers all 19p a largish bag in Lidls today.
I bought a lot and will blanch and freeze , no doubt they won't be that cheap
after Xmas.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Buy a goat!
They like anything. I donate all my not too fresh veg to my wasband's goats.
Id be making soup from it all

Ok, so perhaps I take zero food waste a lot further than most, but I often take veg waste from work home to eat.

Mushrooms that are going brown and soft, they are fine once cooked nowt wrong with them but are no longer class A so the restaurants won't take them

Carrot and potato slivers, these are the little slivers that are shook out when making chips ( in the case of potatoes ) or dice ( carrots). There is nothing wrong with it at all, but everyone wants uniform chips and diced carrots, I make soup

Onions which are sliced, the restaurants won't take the half slices, one again sod all wrong with them, and Ill happily take them home and use them

We cut florets from broccoli and cauliflower, I'll take the stalks, they are grand in stir fry and again soup

This is class A food, which is ending up going for animal feed because its not perfect. To me thats a disgrace

I abhor food waste
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 10:55 AM

I hate food waste too Missy, most of the stalks etc can be eaten either in soups etc or I put them in my dog food, doggies love their veggies. Potato peel I put in the air fryer to dry and crisp and we all love them either dipped in a dip ir simply pepper and salted or again the dogs see them as a real treat.

Very little goes to waste here one reason I refuse to have a food waste bin in the kitchen it was taking weeks to fill it enough to bother to empty it.

I find storing mushrooms in open weave basket in the fridge keeps them a lot longer than any other way, I've tried all sorts of ways over the years and settled on this as best. I have some in there now two weeks old still look fresh.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 04:04 PM

Slightly...not far,but slightly,off subject - Julie; I have a little rescued Maltese Tur..er...terrier,who has more mouth than the Thames. He absolutely YUMMIES-UP radishes! I'm a tad partial to radishes,so when I'm getting a few from the fridge to munch as I'm working/watching tv,so forth,I chop off the ends...and Sh'tlegs [yes,that's his name-I hate him] zaps up,sits eyeballing me as I collect the end bits together-then munches them as happily as he'd munch a steak. Pooches can be weird too....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-12-2018, 04:21 PM

LOL that made me laugh ours eat almost any veg, I've even got a chihuahua eats lettuce ! My vet never believed me till I showed him, he was amazed.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 05:06 PM

Well I got Shi-legs from the same lady I got Woof from.
Woof was about to be put down as he's 50% Spanish wolf...and nobody could control him. I was there talking to Charlie when the morning walk was just setting off. Long story short-I said I'd take him as otherwise he'd remain in the cage. We wandered along the set route,he sniffed this,wee'd on that,no dramas-and as I was handing him back when we got back to the yard,I opened the door of my car to get Charlie a parcel I had for her-in jumped Woof and just lay down. [his name wasn't 'Woof' at the time] So...meh-he came home with me. Weeeellll...he was NO trouble-never has been. But by GOLLY when he barks the walls tremble-so anyone thinking of sneaking into Puggy Towers hears what sounds like a dinosaur getting angry......and Sh1tlegs...well HE was thrown from a car at speed. It was caught on dashcam by the car following. I ended up with him because I'm supposed to be a nasty,horrible,cold,unfeeling,violent and evil demon-but he sat on my lap [unbidden!] when I took Woof to see Charlie for his vaccinations....'nuff said.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-12-2018, 05:08 PM

Aww you are an angel taking them on pug. We are rather failed fosterers we take them in for a few weeks then can't let them leave.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top