Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Re: Organic Slug & Snail Repellent

When these products state that they are ok for wildlife, I am thinking they mean dogs/cats etc won't eat the product. The problem lies with killing slugs, as the products do kill the slugs , so they are not harmless at all.

It was always my understanding that the birds feed their young on the slugs that have been poisoned, or the hedgehogs eat them, so the poison goes along the line, causing death to other species .

One good reason why I don't grow veg, as I can't see a lettuce being more valuable than a baby hedgehog or a nest of baby blackbirds .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Our allotment shop is selling a different product, pellets made out of sheep's wool. The idea is to sprinkle them at the base of your crops, water them, then they expand and form a mat that they don't or won't crawl over. I'll get the name of the stuff tomorrow, when it's open. Or Google it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 01:15 PM

https://www.sarahraven.com/gardening...ol_pellets.htm

Here's one article on the stuff. I'll find another.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

28-06-2019, 01:16 PM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-Ltd-S...10221726&psc=1

This might be what we're selling.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Our allotment shop is selling a different product, pellets made out of sheep's wool. The idea is to sprinkle them at the base of your crops, water them, then they expand and form a mat that they don't or won't crawl over. I'll get the name of the stuff tomorrow, when it's open. Or Google it.

Thanks for that Jazzi.
I have read conflicting reports on this wool. Some reckon it works, others say it's useless.
Any idea if it's safe it young Gertie pinches a mouthful?

I put a fresh load of gravel round the plants last night - knee deep to a garden gnome it was ). Went out and checked just before I went to bed and found snails everywhere again!

I think I might try to lift these dahlias, and replant them in tubs instead, else there is going to be nothing left of them.

JAZZI
, a P.S. for you since I posted.

I have just phoned Sarah Raven to find out whether these wool pellets are harmful to dogs.
She said there are no chemicals in them to harm pets, but she did say all she could think of was it may be
if Gertie ate enough of it, to cause a blockage in her.

I have ordered the smallest bag they do as an experiment.
I am slightly worried because they do pong like wet wool she said, and it might be the smell that will attract the dogs.
I shall try one area only and see what happens.
I'll let you know.

Failing that, how do you fancy a nice little friend for Holly?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

28-06-2019, 05:38 PM

Well we use them down the allotment, obviously, but I never gave it a thought that dogs might be attracted to or ate the pellets! To be on the safe side, how about avoiding altogether? But saying that, wouldn't dogs be attracted to anything in the garden they could get to? Try blocking off her access to where you put the pellets, using guards of some sort.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 05:17 AM

Have you guys tried Wool?

A tad expensive but seems to do the job
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Are you talking about the wool pellets, Rehab?

If so, I have just ordered a small bag from Sarah Raven to try.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Are you talking about the wool pellets, Rehab?

If so, I have just ordered a small bag from Sarah Raven to try.
Yep, Sorry. I didn’t realise that the gardeners above had already mentioned this....sorry ladies.
I have a dog, a Yorkie called Fang der Wunderhund...I use pellets because I grow a lot of dahlias, both in the ground and in pots and never had any problem with the hound eating them.
With regard to pellets, you don’t need mounds of them next to your plants, just a scattering along the bed, plot border or pot.
It works for me, and Fang
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 04:04 PM

If it's just single plants Mups, my daughter has planted her hostas in metal pots this year. She got fed up of them getting eaten, it's working well so far!

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top