Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:07 PM

50 meg internet

Can anyone tell me what to expect when they put this extra fast broadband on around here please?
There was talk about it happening tomorrow, but how do they change it? Do they come and dig up the road, or put a new cable in my house, or is it all done from their end?

Please keep any explanation simple and idiot-proof -I don't have a technical head!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:44 PM

Re: 50 meg internet

My experience is dreadful. The whole street was dug up for weeks so they could lay these huge cables. Talk about the inconvenience! Whilst this was going on my internet stopped working entirely and my phone would go off for hours on end too. Progress eh - who needs it. Hey, and the upgrade was crap with nothing like the speed promised.

Hope the above is helpful .
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:46 PM

My experience is completely different - everything went smoothly and they moved down the road a bit every day. Didn't even take that long as far as I remember - maybe a week or two.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:47 PM

Gee thanks Mark.
No one has been digging the road up, so I guess that means it can't be happening tomorrow then.
My son seemed to think it was all done from the their end, and the green boxes in the street. Is he wrong do you think?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Gee thanks Mark.
No one has been digging the road up, so I guess that means it can't be happening tomorrow then.
My son seemed to think it was all done from the their end, and the green boxes in the street. Is he wrong do you think?
I might be pulling your leg . Hard to tell at times innit .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-10-2015, 12:01 AM

You old bugger, you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 06:24 AM

Hi

They have just finished installing it here in the village, apart from a couple of 10 minute problems a day when they were doing it, everything went well, just basically pulling cables through existing ducts and then messing around with the green boxes in the street.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Can anyone tell me what to expect when they put this extra fast broadband on around here please?
There was talk about it happening tomorrow, but how do they change it? Do they come and dig up the road, or put a new cable in my house, or is it all done from their end?

Please keep any explanation simple and idiot-proof -I don't have a technical head!
Are you talking about 'Fibre Optic' ?

It's very confusing for some of us to get our heads around.
My service provider (Plusnet) tells me it's not available (not far from London) but it IS available in this small town in Wales where I'm staying

I find that very odd.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 09:47 AM

I saw what I reckon was a fibre-optic cable being towed through some piping in a road near us. There was a drain-cleaner lorry in attendance as well. This made me wonder if they were using existing drains or sewers to get the cable through.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Ours was all done overhead, a cable about an inch thick was linked from house to house. I got a look at a cross section of the cable and there must be over a hundred different wires in it. I think a Polish company did the work and the whole area was finished in a few weeks, no one was inconvenienced during the work.
We have a junction box on the side of our corner house and we get an allowance for that, it's deducted from the monthly bill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top