Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 06:09 PM

Interesting snippets ...

Are there any interesting snippets of information or folk law not generally known about the place your were born or places you have lived...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Re: Interesting snippets ...

In 1948 the Good Quads were born in Southmead Hospital, Bristol. History was made because they became the world's first quads to survive a caesarean section.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 06:36 PM

My birth place Brixton has its own pound
The Brixton Pound (B£) is money that stays in Brixton. It’s designed to support Brixton businesses and encourage local trade and production. It’s a complementary currency, working alongside (not replacing) pounds sterling, for use by independent local shops and traders.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 07:02 PM

I originally came from a little village in Derbyshire called Darley Dale which was the home of the industrialist and manufacturer Sir Joseph Whitworth who lived in Stancliffe Hall .

Sir Joseph as responsible for building a lot of property in the village including a row of cottages which line Church Road leading to St Hellens Chuch. The cottages were built without windows facing the road, it is said this was done so that the villagers couldn’t watch the squire and his lady traveling to church in their coach.
.................................................. ..........................
A single Sycamore stands on Oker Hill, it inspired a sonnet by William Wordsworth called ‘The Keepsake’.

Legend has it that two brothers each planted a tree on the summit of the hill before parting to make their way in the world. One brother was sucessful and his tree thrived, the other died and his tree perished with him.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2011, 11:20 PM

I come from Northamptonshire.........BORING
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 02:04 AM

I was born in Newport - it's not famous for much apart from the Ryder Cup 2010 and this:

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Oh hell where do I begin??? - I live in Brighton - 'nuff said??? (and no I am NOT gay)!!!!

Prinny (George 4th) built a palace here (Brighton Pavilion), married (in secret) Mrs Fitzherbert and there is a tunnel (one of many) between the 'Pavilion' and her house not too far away so that he could visit her without anyone knowing.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 07:58 AM

I was born and bred in Lancashire where folk lore is in abundance, like the Pendle witches, A horseshoe is still nailed behind many doors to counteract the effects of witchcraft.

A hot iron put into the cream during the process of churning, expels the witch from the churn, and dough in preparation for the baker is protected by being marked with the figure of a cross.

A red-haired person is supposed to bring in ill-luck if he be the first to enter a house on New Year's Day. Black-haired persons are rewarded with liquor and small gratuities for "taking in the new year" to the principal houses in their respective neighbourhoods.

Now that I live in Cumbria I find that there are many tales here about the Scottish raiders and the Ghost of Muncaster Castle.
Tales from the Coffin road at Ambleside and from the Gurning contest in Egremont.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2011, 10:15 AM

I now live in Derbyshire mid-way between Chesterfield and Matlock.

The Revolution House at Old Whittington, three miles north of Chesterfield on the B6052,takes it’s name from the `Glorious Revolution’ of 1688/89 which totally altered the course of our island history and laid the firm democratic foundations for the future of England and it’s people.

The Revolution House was central to a `bloodless revolution’ which changed the order of succession and saw the Catholic King James 2nd deposed in favour of the Protestant King William of Orange, (who was married to James’ daughter, Mary) by virtue of the fact that it was used as a `plotting parlour’ by the conspirators who met there in the spring of 1688.

History (and the plaque on the wall!) records that in the spring of 1688 three noblemen on horseback met on Whittington Moor `to discuss about the revolution then in agitation’, but a heavy shower of rain forced them to take shelter at the village inn, so they rode up the hill to the Cock & Pynot (Magpie), then a wayside alehouse on the old Chesterfield to Sheffield road. Here William Cavendish the 4th Earl of Devonshire, later to become the first Duke, held conspiratorial talks with Lord Delamere, John D’Arcy, and the Earl of Danby, who had previously been minister to Charles 2nd . They planned to take the north, and then march south against the king, and they put their plans in a letter, written in cipher, which Devonshire signed and sent to the Hague, inviting William of Orange to assume the Crown of England.

The rest, as they say, is history!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Very interesting read everyone...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top