Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 11:57 PM

Re: Question

One MP who says it as he sees it is Dennis Skinner but he is also self opinionated.

Since Shirley Williams and David Steele left I can not think of any others than the ones you mentioned who I would trust with my wallet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I have to say Hammer, I have a soft spot for Mo Mowlam myself, not only for all the good work she done in bringing peace to this Island, but also because she was so natural and ordinary and she kept the smile all through her years of suffering. It will be a long time, if ever, we get the likes of her again. God rest her.
Another fan of Mo here also Bob Marshall -Andrews (retired) who was a bit of a rebel , Speaker Betty Boothroyd (now Baroness Boothroyd ).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 07:38 AM

You're obviously too young to remember Hammer matey, but there was a previous example of a principled MP giving up front-bench position over an issue of principle - Nye Bevan - the architect of the National Health Service.

My current MP is also a person of principle too - the only 'Green' MP in the house - Caroline Lucas. She was previously a 'Green' MEP in Brussels.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 08:39 AM

I have always thought of Tony Benn as an honest politician and I would have liked to see him as Prime Minister.

I also agree that Mo Mowlam, Robin Cooke, Shirley Williams and Dennis Skinner have also been trustworthy people. One thing about Dennis Skinner (love him or hate him) although he does lack a bit of diplomacy, he is nearly always to be found in the House of Commons and will say it exactly how he sees it, no matter what.
I also felt I could trust Harold Wilson. From what I have come to believe, I think I would have also trusted Clement Attlee rather than Nye Bevan, although they were definitely both before my time.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I have always thought of Tony Benn as an honest politician and I would have liked to see him as Prime Minister.

I also agree that Mo Mowlam, Robin Cooke, Shirley Williams and Dennis Skinner have also been trustworthy people. One thing about Dennis Skinner (love him or hate him) although he does lack a bit of diplomacy, he is nearly always to be found in the House of Commons and will say it exactly how he sees it, no matter what.
I also felt I could trust Harold Wilson. From what I have come to believe, I think I would have also trusted Clement Attlee rather than Nye Bevan, although they were definitely both before my time.
Sorry but Harold Wilson wasn't all that trustworthy. Firstly he let down the majority of the (black) population of Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) by allowing Smith to remain in power, secondly he was responsible (with Barbara Castle) for the White Paper "In Place of Strife", which allowed Edward Heath to pass similar anti-trade union legislation in 1971. Clem Attlee was ok, but he was too meek and mild to be a charismatic leader. Tony Benn is also ok, and yes would have made an excellent Prime Minister. Shirley Williams was one of the 'Gang of Four' and who, it could said is partly responsible for the current fiasco of the coalition government, so no I don't agree she is a trustworthy person either.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 09:37 AM

I don't think Wilson allowing Smith to remain in power in Rhodesia was a matter of trust Uncle Joe. The transition to majority government in Rhodesia was a complex and volatile situation - government couldn't just simply be handed over as quickly as demanded - there was (and still is) potential massacres, bloodshed, tribal complications, dictatorships and fear of true anarchy to factor in. As happened, it was bad enough as it was - Would you have had all the white folks immediatey dispossessed and/or murdered then Uncle Jo?

I think Shirley Williams did what she felt appropriate at the time and the unions were totally out of hand, selfish and power crazed. It was not a sustainable situation and Harold Wilson did what was considered the best for the country at the time.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

06-07-2011, 02:54 PM

I don't think Wilson allowing Smith to remain in power in Rhodesia was a matter of trust Uncle Joe. The transition to majority government in Rhodesia was a complex and volatile situation - government couldn't just simply be handed over as quickly as demanded - there was (and still is) potential massacres, bloodshed, tribal complications, dictatorships and fear of true anarchy to factor in. As happened, it was bad enough as it was - Would you have had all the white folks immediatey dispossessed and/or murdered then Uncle Jo?

I think Shirley Williams did what she felt appropriate at the time and the unions were totally out of hand, selfish and power crazed. It was not a sustainable situation and Harold Wilson did what was considered the best for the country at the time.
Clearly the 'people' didn't agree with your analysis, since within less than 1 year from the publication of that 'White Paper' he was out of office.
Hell
wolverhampton uk
Hell is female  Hell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 08:03 PM

......come the revolution!!!!!!! LOL
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

07-07-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hell ->
......come the revolution!!!!!!! LOL

Yes Comrade Hell, pass me my T.72 & AK.47 and we'll begin.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2011, 08:45 AM

You have to be joking.

Think Wilson describe him as insane when he was a minster in Wilsons Goverment

If you ever properly listen to his rantings they all talk down to you and basically make no sense to a moderately thinking person that is

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top