Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Home versus Holiday?

Do people to much enphasis on holidays rather than their own home environment?

I have a friend whose daughter can not afford a new carpet for her home( the old one has a hole in it) yet she is insisting on going on holiday, to China, for three weeks . She bought a cheap rug to cover the hole so that visitors wont know the hole is there.

I often hear of people saying the cant afford this or that because they have the holiday to pay for. What is it with people when holidays come before everything else?
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 08:03 AM

Re: Home versus Holiday?

Surely there is nothing wrong in wanting to enjoy life, rather than having their life ruled by material things.
One of the problems with today's society is the emphasis on materialism.
So what she has a hole on her carpet, does that make her a bad person.

I have loads of jobs that need doing around the house and money spending on it. There are however better things I can can spend my limited time left in this world doing.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Never been abroad and have no desire to do so . . . with 4 Rotties going on holiday here is out of the question too . . . I don't mind in the least coz I love my doggie family . . . I enjoy their company all year round.

My wife goes off globe-trotting with her sister . . she's been to Thailand 5 times and various trips in the Med area.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 12:55 PM

I always holiday at home here except the week of the Cheltenham races when I travel over with the same group of race goers from my local. the wife has been to Rome a couple of times to see our daughter-in-laws parents and the sights but I have only been to Wales and England and have no wish for foreign holidays abroad, a visit to Scotland is on my bucket list.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 02:24 PM

We always made sure we had a holiday in this country while our children were growing up, we weren't well off and we saved hard for it every year and frequently returned home with barely a penny in our building society account but we were rewarded by the looks of excitement and happiness on our children's faces. There were many things that we needed in our home but we both felt it was more important to give our
children a holiday which would leave forever happy memories with them.

Now both our son and daughter are settled and have lives of their own so we have more time to visit places abroad that we were unable to do before. The first time we took a holiday abroad was in 1997 and we have travelled abroad every year since.

We both love our home country and wouldn't live anywhere else but we both agree that travelling abroad and sampling the different cultures widens our knowledge of countries that we would only otherwise read about. As an example, to see the great pyramids in a book or film is one thing, but to actually go to see them, touch them was an overwhelming experience ...... the same with the Valley of the Kings ....... visit that part of history is something that stays with you.

However, that doesn't mean we have deserted our own country, my daughter, SIL and g/children are off to Devon in a week's time to holiday in the same resort where she had many happy holidays as a child. We will be joining them for their 2nd week.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 04:10 PM

I know that travel is enriching, but I simply don't like being away from my own home and bed, and won't force my cat into a cattery. I haven't taken a holiday since my Dad, who loved going to the Cape, passed away in 1964. It does take all kinds, and I'm just not a traveler, I suppose that makes me sort of dull.......
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying dont have holidays, all I am saying is why do people not look after their home first, afterall, it is the most expensive outlay that you will have in your life.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 06:34 PM

You pays your moneys and you takes your choice, as the old saying goes, and at a certain time of life taking your pleasures would seem more sensible than worrying about leaving a threadbare carpet to your children!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2011, 07:26 AM

Mags darlin' I too have been to Egypt and seen the Valley of the Kings, and the Valley of the Queens. Queen Hatchepsut's temple is impressive isn't it?? although I wasn't able to make it up the slope and steps to go inside. Went into the cafe and drank cold drinks instead. I did the 'Nile Cruise' thing and went from Luxor down to Aswan and back and then stayed at a hotel in Luxor for the second week (but that's another story).
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Everyday home life or work can get very hum-drum especially for the young. Looking forwards to a holiday is a relief from the routine of everyday life. I have always enjoyed visiting new destinations even though home will always be home. It's not just a holiday but escapism and the spirit of adventure. Something I still want to do.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top