Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:20 AM

Re: Spiders

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I encourage Huntsman spiders in my house, they don't built webs and they eat the nasties like cockroaches. Unfortunately my visiting pommie SIL wasn't that keen and I had to remove one from her bedroom before she would go in.
I have managed to overcome my spider phobia because I am in the UK where hardly any will bite you. But if I lived in Oz I would be absolutely terrified. Aren't quite a few of yours deadly? Even if not deadly I've seen photos of spider bites - yikes!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have managed to overcome my spider phobia because I am in the UK where hardly any will bite you. But if I lived in Oz I would be absolutely terrified. Aren't quite a few of yours deadly? Even if not deadly I've seen photos of spider bites - yikes!
All spiders are venomous (even UK ones) the difference is whether they can break human skin. We have a couple of dodgy ones - Red Backs and Funnel Webs but I have always had Red Backs in my garden and living in my garage door without any incidents.

If you get bitten they usually wait to see what happens before doing anything but no one has died from a spider bite since the 1970s or whenever it was they invented the antidote.

White Tailed Spiders have a reputation for causing necrosis of the flesh but the jury is out whether than is actually true.

Huntsmen usually can't break the skin but if they do the bite is painful but otherwise harmless, a bee sting is worse.

I had one dog die from what we think was a spider bite (but it could have been a snake) like most Australian "dangers" the fear is far greater than the chance of anything untoward happening. You are still more likely to die crossing the road.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 06:35 AM

I agree Bruce - mostly. But I wouldn't be backing myself against an irukandji or a desert Taipan. Not much hope with those. But spiders are manageable. I used to have a pet Huntsman when I was a kid. He hung around my house when I was young for ages. I called him Al
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 07:08 AM

Oh LQ now my eyes are darting everywhere looking for these monsters . I'm so anxious at this time . At bedtime my eyes search the walls and floors . I wont sleep with an open window . I'd better get some peppermint oil to spray .

I hate spiders I really do
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 07:47 AM

I just wish spiders would not run towards me.
I try to rescue them from the sink before Mr M gets there and callously washes them down the plug hole .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Oh LQ now my eyes are darting everywhere looking for these monsters . I'm so anxious at this time . At bedtime my eyes search the walls and floors . I wont sleep with an open window . I'd better get some peppermint oil to spray .

I hate spiders I really do
Conkers are a deterrent ( also to moths )
If you have a dog put them in a plastic container with holes in as conkers are poisonous if eaten.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 08:03 AM

I don't like them either i try not to kill them though unless as Muddy says they run towards you at speed then I panic a bit. They are usually the ones with saddles on their backs.....very scary...all those legs
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 09:09 AM

Thanks muddy . I'll get some conkers too. I was told to prick them, not sure why .

Guess what , changing the bed this morn after posting on here a bl...y spider was on the wall , small but had potential, I grabbed my catcher but he ran onto my duvet which was on the floor , I managed to get him and chuck him out the window.

Question for those who know

A baby spider comes into my home , how long before it grows into one of those monsters ?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Conkers are a deterrent ( also to moths )
If you have a dog put them in a plastic container with holes in as conkers are poisonous if eaten.
I tried conkers but they didn't work for us.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm always saying how I'm not scared of spiders but when I got undressed last night into me jimjams I sat down at my computer and I could feel something crawling on my head near my fringe, then all of a sudden these ruddy dangly long legs were stroking my forehead and a screamed like a banshee, John came to investigate and stood in the computer room looking at me, I'd shook my head and I was screaming 'has it gone, has it gone, and he still stood looking at me, I'm saying, well??? he said Bev, it's on your pyjamas, I screamed again, gerrit off arrrggghhh and he flicked me right hard with the towel, the ruddy wimp was too frightened to come near me.

It's not a sad end, the spider didn't die in 'the flick' it landed on the floor and we got it in a glass and put it outside.

We laughed our heads off later together about the incident, it must have been like something out of a comedy sketch but I still can't believe he just stood there looking at me like a wally!

I've come to the conclusion I am scared of spiders after all, well, it was a humungous bugger!

Have you got any spider tales to tell, funny or otherwise.

I think it is the shock of seeing one LQ. They always take us by surprise when we are least expecting it. I am always conscious of the fact that a big hairy one might pop up when I'm opening crates of bananas in the morning. It has happened apparently.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top