Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:36 PM

Re: Help for speeding.

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I was just accelerating off a roundabout on the B road out of town, I could have been scammed, I don't know.

I can tell you about some notorious money grabbing situations here in London. They must make £10K's everyday, even from people that are familiar with the road. For example: turning right at box junctions where you can't see if your exit is clear or not; you take your chances or get nowhere causing gridlock.

I'm not at all surprised at that.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 09:58 PM

I can tell you about some notorious money grabbing situations here in London. They must make £10K's everyday, even from people that are familiar with the road. For example: turning right at box junctions where you can't see if your exit is clear or not; you take your chances or get nowhere causing gridlock.
"You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right."
Source: www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk
Jaded
South yorkshire
Jaded is male  Jaded has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 10:05 PM

Most sat navs have speed warnings as standard and give an audible beep but the snag is they aren’t always accurate on the specific road limits so watching the speedo and the road ahead is the best option
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

Do you use anything to control your speeding & what?
Yes, carol, I use my foot. The trick is not to push it down too far.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I wish I had cruise control - is it possible to have it fitted?

I went out with my daughter yesterday in her new Mini Cooper. She was using the cruise control - also it's automatic so she sat there with her feet doing nothing at all. It fascinated me.

A different way of driving eh?
Yes it is possible to have after market cruise controls fitted to a car, I had one fitted to a car of mine.

Personally I use cruise control as an accelerator too so I keep my foot over the brake. (My car is an auto)
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
"You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right."
Source: www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk
Yep, sounds simple enough. But there are situations where a junction is staggered, the oncoming traffic is nose-to-tail lorries and busses and you can't see if your exit road is clear until after you have entered the box. It only takes a split second to get a lovely photo of you behind the wheel in the box after the lights have changed. And it can only takes a split second for you to be out of the box again. But they've got you.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:28 AM

Yep, sounds simple enough. But there are situations where a junction is staggered, the oncoming traffic is nose-to-tail lorries and busses and you can't see if your exit road is clear until after you have entered the box. It only takes a split second to get a lovely photo of you behind the wheel in the box after the lights have changed. And it can only takes a split second for you to be out of the box again. But they've got you.

Yes, I can believe that, the sneaky bastards. I remember reading about a fellow who had stopped at a red light when an ambulance came up behind, all blues and twos, so he carefully drove through the red light and up onto the pavement to allow it past (he didn't actually cross the junction). He was caught on camera and fined, and even lost on appeal when he explained the situation
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 10:24 AM

Cars speedometers overead by a few mph, that’s why most police forces allow 10% + 2mph, so if you are caught a 36 in a 30, you have exceeded the limit by 1mph, as for the road angel, these are usually for speed camera detection, both fixed and mobile, a subscription is usually required so these devices can be updated as camera locations are added/ removed, you don’t have to have a subscription, I had something similar but these units give lots of false readings, automatic doors set them off frequently so , unless you do lots of mileage they are probably not worth it, sat navy’s have built in gps and are very accurate so long as you are getting a signal, some dash cams have built in speed limit warnings, my car has traffic sign recognition with speed limiter so adjusts the speed accordingly, all new cars will have to have this as standard in the next couple of years..
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

15-05-2021, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Car speedos are designed to read low it is in the car design rules, your sat nav is far more accurate.

I always set my cruise control to 98kph according to my sat nav (for 100kph limit) which is about 105kph according to my speedo

This is the Australian design rules but these were made to conform with European rules probably applied years before.

From July 1 2006 a new standard began its phase in and by 1 July 2007 all new vehicles had to comply. The new standard requires that:

The speedo must not indicate a speed less than the vehicle’s true speed or a speed greater than the vehicle’s true speed by an amount more than 10 percent plus 4 km/h.
Odometer accuracy is no longer defined.

What this means:

For a vehicle travelling at a true speed of 100km/h, the speedo must read between 100km/h and 114km/h. The effect of this is that many drivers will find that at 100km/h they are driving up to 14km/h below the speed limit if they rely on the vehicle’s speedo.
The speedo must always read 'safe', meaning the vehicle must not travel faster than the speed indicated by the speedo.
Thanks for that very comprehensive explanation Bruce. So now I know that if I stick with the car's speedo reading, I should always be within the speed limit!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Yes, I can believe that, the sneaky bastards. I remember reading about a fellow who had stopped at a red light when an ambulance came up behind, all blues and twos, so he carefully drove through the red light and up onto the pavement to allow it past (he didn't actually cross the junction). He was caught on camera and fined, and even lost on appeal when he explained the situation
Disgusting.

I suppose the person who made that decision would have preferred him to remain exactly where he was and risk the patient in the ambulance dying.

Perhaps one day that same person might be in an ambulance in a similar situation. Poetic justice!

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top