Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Re: . . . . shire The Bradshaw Clan in England

Originally Posted by shaz ->
Ones that was signed with a cross, must have been easy Lynne.
I know that joke! lol

In fact, they pretty much are. Because then you take the penmenship of the officer or agent. Hopefully it's readable.

When you "index," (decipher data), you're getting it in the raw. When you're finished, it goes to another that has more experience, that person goes through everything, and makes corrections if needed. Then that person submits it and then it goes to another even more experienced who checks it. . . etc..

There is 3 to 4 people that work on each batch.

I often wonder if all the work and research I have done on each person is deleted because they don't think it's correct.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by shaz ->
Ones that was signed with a cross, must have been easy Lynne.
Dont you believe it Sometime the minister who wrote the name has worse writing than the witness. I think they were all on the communion wine.

Ive just finished checking one that one of my my newbies sent me - took me nearly a week Some of the names she had written were nothing like what was actually written. I've had to go through other sources ( Ancestry, Find my past, Family search, Lancs Bmd, Free Bmd) plus the original register to see if I could find the correct names & then some of them have transcribed the names differently or i've not been able to find them. It is very frustrating but very addictive though.
The ones I'm mentoring do the transcribing - send them to me to do a visual check & then I run them through a programme to check them again & to see if it likes the names or if there is a variant for them. Once i've done all the checking & altered the errors I send them to somebody else who does some more checking on them & they send them to the main man who puts them online so there is a lot of work involved in it. Well worth doing though,
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
Dont you believe it Sometime the minister who wrote the name has worse writing than the witness. I think they were all on the communion wine.

Ive just finished checking one that one of my my newbies sent me - took me nearly a week Some of the names she had written were nothing like what was actually written. I've had to go through other sources ( Ancestry, Find my past, Family search, Lancs Bmd, Free Bmd) plus the original register to see if I could find the correct names & then some of them have transcribed the names differently or i've not been able to find them. It is very frustrating but very addictive though.
The ones I'm mentoring do the transcribing - send them to me to do a visual check & then I run them through a programme to check them again & to see if it likes the names or if there is a variant for them. Once i've done all the checking & altered the errors I send them to somebody else who does some more checking on them & they send them to the main man who puts them online so there is a lot of work involved in it. Well worth doing though,
HI Girl,
As we say here. LOL
I think I told you that I re-registered at Family Search, for indexing.
Last night I ran across this name and looked it up on

http://www.ask.com/web?q=surnames&as...&o=11154&l=dir

There were only two people in the entire United States with that name! Wow.

I didn't know that Ask.com had a special web page for lookiing up surnames! Great! Try the link. Or you probably already use it huh? (giggles)

I received an email from Family Search and they reinstated me to my original indexing/arbitration.

I want to start out indexing because I need to remind myself of how it is all done. I know there are areas I must have forgotten.

Arbitration is so . . . so hard to do. Just like what you were saying about how far off that person was in indexing and you had to research for about a week.

When I started arbitrating I was sorry I did ! LOL

I completed 71,606. I doubt they can add the 400 I just recently worked on to my old account.

You must be a special kind of person to be arbitrating and sticking it out.
I salute you, my hat's off to you Lynne55
Mlee
CA USA

13-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->

Hi Lynne,
I'm working on the indexing right now.
I'm so upset I could blow steam.
I know your stuff is a little different from the US California census, but I have this gripe about the arbitrators checking my indexing.
1. It states that when you see an "R" type what is there instead of typing "Rural."
I do and the arbitrator takes my percentage off for each "R" I type.
Then when I run across an odd name, I go through great lengths to research it. As Pearl. I would type Pearl.
But this one was "Pears." I found a woman named "Pear."
So I left it alone and typed what I saw.

The arbitrator took percentages off for that.

Now when it goes to another arbitrator, what then?

There are a lot of names that have their own spelling and I do check them out.

We get points for what we have done so that when we go to do our own ancestor search, we can rely on having points in order to get into some of the places we may have to pay for otherwise.
I do not have all that money to pay for all the stuff I want in my ancestor search.

To date I have indexed 29,885 and arbitrated 35, 677. Together it is 73, 126.

Should I just call the church or just let it go?

Thanks . . . Mlee
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Mlee, there was a Bradshaw married into my family tree in 1842, they came from a place called Ribchester in Lancashire.

I have not re-search the Bradshawa but it is a common name and if you have specific dates it should not be to hard to trace.
Mlee
CA USA

14-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Mlee, there was a Bradshaw married into my family tree in 1842, they came from a place called Ribchester in Lancashire.

I have not re-search the Bradshawa but it is a common name and if you have specific dates it should not be to hard to trace.
Thanks Antibrown,
I ran passed one of my files and seen that my Bradshaw line did originate from Lancashire.
What I need to do is go through my files and get myself up to date.
Heck. . . we could be long lost cousins. . . LOL

Guess what! I do remember that one of the ladies that married one of my Bradshaw was related to Roland Taylor. Think that was his name without looking up the file.
He was a preacher that 'Queen Bloody Mary,' had burned to death because he would not give up his religion.

Mlee

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top