Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Alium leaf miners

I have just discovered that my garlic crop is infected with alium leaf miners

That means the whole of my store of garlic for the winter is lost.
It is a comparatively new pest to the UK but now spreading.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profil...able%20rotting.

I had the same thing in my leeks last winter and lost most of my crop.
My garlic was planted in October so it looks like both crops may have been infected at the same time.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Re: Alium leaf miners

What a shame Meg! I know you put a lot of effort into growing and it must be dreadful knowing that time may have been wasted.
Try to look on the bright side, because i have seen photos of your baking and I bet that will keep you fed well!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
What a shame Meg! I know you put a lot of effort into growing and it must be dreadful knowing that time may have been wasted.
Try to look on the bright side, because i have seen photos of your baking and I bet that will keep you fed well!
Thank you Twink
I had never heard of the pest until this morning and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same pest on their leeks/onions/garlic.

If it gets into the commercial crop it will dreadful ...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2020, 02:17 PM

What a b*****r Meg, how do you get rid of it?

I also noticed your post this morning about your beans, as I've had a struggle as well, what with the frost then the gales then the heat, and the latest thing an hour ago was an almighty hail storm smashing into them! Like you then, I've no idea what we will end up with but such is gardening I guess...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

05-06-2020, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

I also noticed your post this morning about your beans, as I've had a struggle as well, what with the frost then the gales then the heat, and the latest thing an hour ago was an almighty hail storm smashing into them! Like you then, I've no idea what we will end up with but such is gardening I guess...
Barry you can't get rid of them, all you can do if they comes to your area is cover the leeks /garlic at egg-laying time that is spring and autumn with fine insect netting.

It seems to be a constant battle here with one pest or another and of course the vagaries of the weather.

We didn't have the hail but gale force winds today have made a mess of my strawberry plant .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you Twink
I had never heard of the pest until this morning and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same pest on their leeks/onions/garlic.

If it gets into the commercial crop it will dreadful ...

That's a damn shame Meg.
I have these wretched little pests nearly every year when I grow my Wallflowers from seed, they seem to like them.
As you say, they are difficult to get rid of because they are inside the leaf so sprays don't always work.

I have some starting on some young rockery plant seedings at the moment. I just snip the damaged leaves off to take their food source away, and move the tray of seedlings elsewhere, but you can't do that if the plants are in the ground.

See if this info is any use:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pla...er-control.htm

I liked the idea of putting some leaves in a bag till the insects hatch. I might try that.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

There's an old adage about Britain we don't have seasons we have weather.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-06-2020, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
There's an old adage about Britain we don't have seasons we have weather.
true .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-06-2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a damn shame Meg.
I have these wretched little pests nearly every year when I grow my Wallflowers from seed, they seem to like them.
As you say, they are difficult to get rid of because they are inside the leaf so sprays don't always work.

I have some starting on some young rockery plant seedings at the moment. I just snip the damaged leaves off to take their food source away, and move the tray of seedlings elsewhere, but you can't do that if the plants are in the ground.

See if this info is any use:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pla...er-control.htm

I liked the idea of putting some leaves in a bag till the insects hatch. I might try that.
Hi Mups a good idea but not really suited to leeks and garlic , you can't really pull a leaf off them to see the pests and these particular grubs burrow inside the vegetables .
I didn't know I had a problem till I dug a plant up.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Oh dear, it does look pretty grim Meg, what a damn shame.

Have you seen this article from 'Which'?

https://gardening.which.co.uk/hc/en-...ium-leaf-miner

Do you have any of that very fine white mesh that is used against carrot fly?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top