Join for free
Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 12:13 AM

Re: What is it - Mystery Object challenge.

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
This.

It was a glorified manhole cover on the city centre. When I was a kid I once saw a man open the door and climb inside. There was a ladder leading down to the flood dam of the river Frome below

"The Frome mostly flows beneath Prince Street and into the Avon. The exception to this is when the river is in flood, when overflow will pass over the concrete dam under the Centre’s northern edge to join the Floating Harbour outside Watershed.
This section can be visited, by authorised personnel only, via an entrance down from the pavement on the northern edge of the Centre, by the large building known as Electricity House.
For decades, access was via a green pillar box, now housed in the M Shed museum. A ladder descends from the spot (now simple metal grilles in the pavement) for several feet, allowing access to a large area of underground riverside"

You can just make it out in the bottom left of this old picture, next to two children.

Thank you, Fruitcake. I did make a lucky guess, but not really anything to do with electricity. I would never have guessed a storm drain.
Arena
France
Arena is male  Arena has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 08:42 AM

A police call box
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Arena ->
A police call box

Another good guess, but the answer has already been revealed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2020, 10:32 AM

Another good guess, but the answer has already been revealed.
Satellite delay from France Fruitcake....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 07:36 AM

It was a glorified manhole cover on the city centre.

I never would have guessed that!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 08:32 AM

I think it's something electrical too possibly an electrical supply junction box?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think it's something electrical too possibly an electrical supply junction box?

Oh gosh I just saw the answer has been revealed.....I would never have guessed that......Good one Fruity
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 08:53 AM

It was a glorified manhole cover on the city centre.
It was a manhole cover back then. It would be a personhole cover now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 09:00 AM

This.

It was a glorified manhole cover on the city centre. When I was a kid I once saw a man open the door and climb inside. There was a ladder leading down to the flood dam of the river Frome below

"The Frome mostly flows beneath Prince Street and into the Avon. The exception to this is when the river is in flood, when overflow will pass over the concrete dam under the Centre’s northern edge to join the Floating Harbour outside Watershed.
This section can be visited, by authorised personnel only, via an entrance down from the pavement on the northern edge of the Centre, by the large building known as Electricity House.
For decades, access was via a green pillar box, now housed in the M Shed museum. A ladder descends from the spot (now simple metal grilles in the pavement) for several feet, allowing access to a large area of underground riverside"

You can just make it out in the bottom left of this old picture, next to two children.

I would have never guessed
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 09:11 AM

I have a suspicion that the correct answer was not guessed but ... researched. My apologies if I am wrong.

New flood prevention schemes have now been introduced with several tunnels running for several kilometres under the City to divert water into the Avon Gorge and the New Cut.

Thank you for everyone who contributed.

Page 3 of 33 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top