Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:02 PM

our animal boarding establishment

When we fist took over the kennels and cattery it was quite run down which is why we got it cheaper than it could have been sold for.
First thing was to get a licence to run the place, so contacted the environmental health Dept of South Staffs council .

They sent own this inspector Mr Davies (what a really smashing guy) to carry out checks. MY very first question (creep creep) was what he would like to see done to upgrade the place. Oh yes I know how these things work. So he went and drew up a list of what he would like to see improved and said he didn't expect it all done at once. So over the next few years we modernised sections. First was to replace the rusted iron kennel bars and replace with mesh (cost a small fortune doing inside and outside runs) So every year we upgraded parts of the place
New electrics -new grooming parlour- fully alarmed with 2 CCTV camers setups. the list was endless
and by this time it was not Mr Davis but Phil who really put himself out to held and advise. He even helped me with a kennel kitchen plaster board ceiling by holding it up for me .

Great pity there are not many like him with authority ,
the latest I heard was the new inspectors last were on road traffic noise monitoring and didn't have a clue about our type of business, useless

fully tiled kennels from rough concrete floors. Easy to clean and keep infection down

From a 4 ft deep pile of straw throughout the floor and bare brick walls to this

grooming parlour even down to overhead track power sockets so no power leads to trip over.
own design dog walk in shower at the back

same original conditions to now the isolation room

New cat pens from old falling down home made rubbish

A lot of my time and money to make it the best in the area
Built up the business from the initial 350 clients on the books to sell the place with 5500 clients on the books
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Re: our animal boarding establishment

Looks fantastic!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:08 PM

Very Good business venture,
That's the way to do it.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 06:09 PM

Muddy Thank you. It was a case of it had work, no going back to previous job or home, make or break really big time and we nearly went under a couple of times but fought back.
I knew I was capable of doing most of the work not being afraid of hard graft, and it was, while Sue ran the business side of things

For the first 7 years we didn't have a break. We shut down for 2 weeks in november to get the major work done. most of what you see I did myself except for the kennel floor tiles

Kennel kitchen. Originally there was a rickity old stand with a bowl on top as the sink.
Knocked out the back wall and extended into what was a "blind" kennels used as an isolation kennel with no size or outlook.
Before the new widow was fitted , used to opening to get the new long worktop in . extended the telephone cable so not to miss phone calls and CCT monitor with cameras in each kennel block to keep an eye on things. not forgetting complete new fire extinguishers everywhere
new wall and floor units obviously
even put in a TV for the staff to watch when not busy

Last job was a new front wall

one push and it all fell down

new wall and gate

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Very nice RS, bet you were sad to leave it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

18-06-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Very nice RS, bet you were sad to leave it.
In some ways yes. It gave us a good income but apart from that missing the client contact and staff. However our age was against us and the new local bylaws were stupid. New officials without a clue telling us what we should be doing after 25 years in the business. each year a different one with different ideas, real pratts of the first water. They worked off a tick sheet without knowing what to look for.

Sad to leave ?yes after all the work put into it . Sue was never happy living in the Midlands she wanted to come back down south.
Glad we moved yes no more worries about other peoples pets -let alone running the business and all that involved. No more keeping up with constant changeing bylaws,

Would we do it again knowing what we know now? yes given the same circumstances before we took over. That is another story. Lets put it this way. If one wants to do similar it has to be 120% commitment and determination to succeed. If you don't try you don't know ,but with us failure was never considered.

How many would give up a semi secured job with a big company Like I did with BT, then move to a totally unknown part of the country and take over a business knowing little about it.
glad we did it? certainly even with all the problems it gave us

But look what it gave us

Expensive holiday each year on cruises and countries like China to visit to name but one.
A beautiful house ,ok needed work done on it but think the place speaks for itself

Comfortable life style. That is what one works hard for
Buzzzer
USA
Buzzzer is male  Buzzzer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 05:50 AM

Lots of time and effort. It looks great.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top