Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 06:44 PM

I think i just had a Sparrowhawk in the tree near my window

It was smaller than a magpie, had a light specked chest & dark wings. It's tail was quite long and it had a hooked beak. Can anybody tell me if that sounds like a sparrowhawk?

I am asking because I have dozens of birds nests in the trees around my garden & the other day I heard a lot of noise coming from a tree at the side of my house.
I see lots of buzzards here but I don't think I have ever see a sparrowhawk before.

It looked so elegant when it flew away!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 06:50 PM

Re: I think i just had a Sparrowhawk in the tree near my window

I once had the misfortune to be watching a Sparrow just outside my patio doors when suddenly a Sparrow Hawk swooped down and took him off. They are impressive looking birds up close and larger than you would think.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...z/sparrowhawk/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I once had the misfortune to be watching a Sparrow just outside my patio doors when suddenly a Sparrow Hawk swooped down and took him off. They are impressive looking birds up close and larger than you would think.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...z/sparrowhawk/
If their length goes from head to the end of their tail I would say it was about 28cms & quite slim ( the well fed magpies here are a bit bigger than that ). He was only about 8 feet from me, but wouldn't have known I was here as I saw him through the window. Actually it may have been a female!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 07:05 PM

Sparrowhawks spend more time hunting in habitats where prey availability is high and the chance of success is greatest. They have learnt that gardens are an easy source of prey, bringing the realities of nature up close to our homes.

From https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...whawk/hunting/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

19-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Sparrowhawks spend more time hunting in habitats where prey availability is high and the chance of success is greatest. They have learnt that gardens are an easy source of prey, bringing the realities of nature up close to our homes.

From https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...whawk/hunting/
Thanks for that Cinderella! It looked just like the one on your link & I have lots of wood pigeons here.
We all have to eat so I wouldn't be upset if they killed another bird, but I would prefer not to see it . I just think birds of prey are magnificent creatures!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:08 PM

Ditto, I love to see birds of prey and we have lots of buzzards, the occasional sparrowhawk and kestrel round here. But we didn't like seeing the sparrowkawk plucking a blackbird from our bird table Fortunately the blackbird managed to get away. I wish they would get mice and the buzzards take the rabbits that are eating all my plants!
I do feel a bit of a hypocrite though as we are meat eaters...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 08:22 PM

WE had them swoop through our small orchard at the kennels. They were after the birds on the feeders

Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2020, 07:14 AM

Goldfinches. Great photo,RS!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks for that Cinderella! It looked just like the one on your link & I have lots of wood pigeons here.
We all have to eat so I wouldn't be upset if they killed another bird, but I would prefer not to see it . I just think birds of prey are magnificent creatures!
You're welcome.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:14 AM

I always put bird food in the hedge and under a bush for the small birds and out in the open for the many rooks jackdaws and pigeons.
There are sparrow hawks here and the little birds don’t like to go far from the safety of the hedges .
I think the male of thr species is smaller ?
They are so fast I have seen one attack a pigeon poor thing . I know it’s nature
But would rather not see it .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top