Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:02 AM

Plant identification

I have two of these. They flower for a week or two, drop the petals then come into flower again. This repeats throughout the summer months.

I bought them as small plants from a car boot sale a couple of years ago. Everybody admires them and asks what they are but I can't tell them. Thanks.

The white flecks are water droplets (photographed in the rain)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:05 AM

Re: Plant identification

Looks rather like a Salvia to me Mart.

Or if it is red & white, it could be a Salvia Hotlips.
But there are loads of different colour Salvias.

caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Plantnet tells me its a Salvia.

Salvia microphylla.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Salv...3p030pWAHydi6M
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:37 AM

Thanks Mups and Caricature - Many of the flowers do have white in them as this better photo shows. Salvia Hotlips it is then ..or should I just say it is 'Salvia' to be safe? If I were to tell friends it is Salvia Hotlips, I'd have to make it clear that I'm not calling them 'Hotlips'.

Thanks again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 10:45 AM

You're welcome Mart.

I have two Salvias myself - a Hotlips, and a deep purple one.
They are very pretty aren't they.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

08-07-2020, 11:21 AM

They are pretty and I like the way they keep flowering and look good for the entire summer. I cut them fairly well back during the winter. I'm not sure if that was the right way to treat them but they seem OK this year. I have never changed the soil but use Phostrogen when watering.

Here's a photo of the other one. So much of it that the large concrete pot that it's in can't be seen.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 12:16 PM

Absolutely beautiful Mart, I quite fancy something like that in my garden.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Do bumbles and honey bee's love them?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Do bumbles and honey bee's love them?

It seems bees like some of them Caricature.
Have a look at this:

Salvias - plants for bees. ... Most of them are good for bees but this does not include the brightly coloured bedding plants that are sold in most garden centres as, even if it produces some nectar, the flower tubes are too long for the tongues of most British bee species.
caricature
Devon,England.

08-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It seems bees like some of them Caricature.
Have a look at this:

Salvias - plants for bees. ... Most of them are good for bees but this does not include the brightly coloured bedding plants that are sold in most garden centres as, even if it produces some nectar, the flower tubes are too long for the tongues of most British bee species.
Thanks Mups.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top