Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 07:23 PM

Tipper Trucks!

Some time ago I mentioned the preponderance of those big Tipper Trucks or Grab/Tipper Trucks hurtling around our smaller roads in increasing numbers and today I've heard of another accident involving the same company's trucks within days of each other.

At work, one of the Carers had her car written-off last Friday by a Tipper Truck and yesterday our friends had their car "totalled" by another Tipper Truck from the same company - about 15 miles apart but odd.

It gets odder though as in both cases it's been a Bulgarian Truck Driver and apparently almost ALL of the drivers that this company hired are Bulgarian or Romanian and that's not the end of it because two of their rivals locally are doing the same thing!

Why?

We have had several firms training-up people for HGV Licences locally - some being supported by the State it seems for the courses - yet we are still allowing Eastern Europeans in to take whatever jobs are coming up, denying our people jobs!

Around here we have noticed far more people from all around the world arriving here - private rents have gone through the roof because of this and Yes, they are spending their money in our town and boosting our local economy.

The problem is that local unemployment has stalled now because the semi-skilled or low-skilled jobs available in this area are still being taken by foreign workers and I mean warehouse jobs and simple driving jobs as well as the HGV jobs.

Our eldest has been getting three or four days per week working on deliveries for Argos for about a month now but he says that although they said to him they'd make some of those temporary jobs permanent, all he has seen so far is foreign employees taken on by Argos on Short-Term, 6-month contracts, on the minimum wage.

He was told Argos was looking at taking on "local" drivers, (they have a big presence here in MK), but it's not what he is seeing as they re mainly foreign drivers, like he saw at another company delivering foods.

I know the Dave and Gideon are supposedly trying to renegotiate our EU Membership 'cos the media's been telling us that () but something's not right here from what I can see.

Are they truly fighting our corner in curbing foreign competition for low / semi-skilled jobs or is that just propaganda?

I have my doubts about this and I am concerned about the way things seem to be building up against the Government on other scores too.

If we had an opposition with some guts I'd say there's a no confidence vote brewing.

Any comments? stevmk2
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Re: Tipper Trucks!

Hi

There is an acute shortage of HGV Drivers in the UK, primarily due to the cost of getting such a licence,the Road Haulage People are lobbying the Government, but basically it is their fault for not giving employees the training.

Current hourly rates, at least where I live are between £14 and £15 an hour for HGV class 1, loads of jobs available, and with house rents being very low, good money.

Yes the Bulgarians and Romanians are here, but who can blame them if we don't train our own.

Locally, there are very few Eastern Europeans working on minimum wage, most are on full time contracts earning far more.

The problem here is how do we get the local, British unemployed out to work?

Because they are the ones unemployed when there is plenty of work available and choose not to.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 08:42 PM

How do you know they choose not to?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
How do you know they choose not to?
Hi

Simple, they live on Benefits and openly tell you that they do not want to work.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 09:16 PM

I did hear that Argos were not taking on any permanent workers,all were 'as & when ',my friends son has been working for them since Christmas last year,still not permanent
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 09:21 PM

People want real jobs not Mickey Mouse ones.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Simple, they live on Benefits and openly tell you that they do not want to work.
Well everybody knows that, they even have the gaul to go on TV and tell the world.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top