Join for free
Page 11 of 51 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Re: Extinction the facts

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
You extinction rebels seem to be ignoring the demise of the apostrophe.
A recent report from the ,the Guvvermunt has announced there is a strong possibility that there will a shortage of apostrophes if global warming continues at its present rate. A guvverment official has asked people not to panic buy apostrophes and remain calm. Contingency plans are being put into place to use commas if apostrophes do run out.
Bugger the whales..SAVE OUR APOSTROPHES NOW!
I believe we should use more apostrophes and certainly more commas. I have been accused of overusing commas, but I don't care.
I'm also a believer in the Oxford Comma. In fact, it can actually be indispensable. Compare:

"We invited the strippers, JFK and Stalin."

and

"We invited the strippers, JFK, and Stalin."
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:04 PM

And I believe in having the good manners not to derail someone else’s topic .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Bakerman I feel you are mistaking Orang-utans for Chimpanzees

Orang-utans do not reproduce quickly at all a female orangutan does not reach sexual maturity until between the ages of 10-15 years .- they do in fact have the slowest reproduction rates of all primates .
They live solitary lives they don’t live in pairs coming together only for mating .
A baby Orang-utan is completely helpless ( I have seen these and held them they are just like a human baby )
It nurses with its mother for three years but stays with her until about ages about seven.
Orangutans only live in certain parts of the tropical rainforest in Borneo and part of Sumatra .
They could not live on an island ( as do Chimpanzees )as they need the rainforest .
Unfortunately the rainforest is being increasingly destroyed for logging and palm oil.
( nothing lives in a Palm oil plantation they are devoid of life.

I only know these things because I lived in Borneo for many years .
I only meant that compared to the Panda Bear, Orangutans are fast reproducers.

I disagree with you about where Orangutans could live. Thousands of the uninhabited islands in and around Borneo/Sumatra/Indonesia/Philippines are indeed rain forests.

In any event Borneo/Sumatra ARE islands.

Suggestion: Anyone interested in preserving wild populations of Orangutans could start a movement to buy up an entire island, of sufficient size, in the area mentioned above, and turn it into a Orangutan wild preserve.

I suspect that if working closely with a few big names, (like Jane Goodall of chimpanzee fame) and a sympathetic local government, the island could be bought for very little money.

I don't know anything about how money is raised for such a project but I do know that there are dozens and dozens of well known global wildlife societies who could get you started and perhaps even join in.

I could go on and on but you get my thinking.

PS: unlike the African elephant, no-one is poaching Orangutans. So, little, if any, money would need to be spend on armed game rangers to protect the Orangutans. I can see how a small research team could live on the island to observe and study them
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:12 PM

Don't worry, Muddy.
I'm sure it was only a temporary derailment.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oooooh!
Extinction rebels can get sooo cross
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:20 PM

It’s not YOUR topic, it’s OUR topic
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I only meant that compared to the Panda Bear, Orangutans are fast reproducers.

I disagree with you about where Orangutans could live. Thousands of the uninhabited islands in and around Borneo/Sumatra/Indonesia/Philippines are indeed rain forests.

In any event Borneo/Sumatra ARE islands.
But very very big islands !
When you say Panda bears do you mean giant pandas ?
They are slow to reproduce but the Chinese have cracked it with AI they now produce pandas on a commercial basis .
These they rent out to zoos .
All giant pandas have Chinese citizenship so they must always be returned to China.
They are so cute .

Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
It’s not YOUR topic, it’s OUR topic
But it is against the rules to derail it
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I have flown and sailed across the Atlantic several times, and to even see another ship is rare. Six days to cruise across and not a sight of anything except ocean and the occasional whale or dolphin. Considering the Earth is 71% ocean, that certainly is a lot of empty space. Siberia is a wasteland and uninhabited by nothing but a few odd locals. The interior of Australia is made up of the outback with the main population situated around the edges. Patagonia in South America is virtually human free, and even North America contains hundreds of miles of desert and wild country. Places like Alaska are virtually uninhabited, as is anything above 60 degree latitude line, but still being covered in thousands of square miles of forests and mountains (the lungs of the world) The rainforests of Brazil in comparison, are very small.

In fact, of the remaining 29% of the earth's surface, 27% is covered by mountains, impenetrable jungle/forests and desert. So no sign of man's existence there then....
Apart from the odd dry stone wall at low levels, I have even walked/run all day on the North Yorks moors here in England and didn't see another soul. And the vast mountainous regions of Scotland go on forever with not a sign of human existence. We [the human race] are actually huddled around just the remaining 2% with the UK occupying just 0.21% of the earth's surface but with a helluva lot more people per square mile than most places.

Could it be that as the polar ice caps are melting, people living in the 'fast becoming desert' regions could perhaps move there?
Apart from the enormous size of this planet, that the 'Save the Planet crackpots' fail to understand, they also fail to understand that we are in fact 'part of nature' and at the moment are flourishing, but that won't always be the case. Nature is a great leveler, and just like the dinosaurs and dodo, we will also become extinct, when the food and oil run out, and there is not a thing any of us can do about it, so enjoy it while it lasts....
Very well said, OGF. I remember well driving across Idaho, and I saw a sign that said, 'Next gas, 107 miles'. For that 107 miles, there was not a single building of any kind. Only things to see were vast pine forests and wild, crashing rivers.

One of my favorite places to escape the city, and do a little trout fishing, lies in the mountains of California. When I go there, I do not see a single human for weeks at a time. Nothing but tall pine trees and wild animals, living as they have done for thousands of years.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

17-09-2020, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to have to go back several pages (so many questions and so little time...) to reply to this post Muddy, but it's been on my mind since I read it......

I have flown and sailed across the Atlantic several times, and to even see another ship is rare. Six days to cruise across and not a sight of anything except ocean and the occasional whale or dolphin. Considering the Earth is 71% ocean, that certainly is a lot of empty space. Siberia is a wasteland and uninhabited by nothing but a few odd locals. The interior of Australia is made up of the outback with the main population situated around the edges. Patagonia in South America is virtually human free, and even North America contains hundreds of miles of desert and wild country. Places like Alaska are virtually uninhabited, as is anything above 60 degree latitude line, but still being covered in thousands of square miles of forests and mountains (the lungs of the world) The rainforests of Brazil in comparison, are very small.
And getting smaller by the minute !
They are in fact vast but are fast diminishing.
The areas you mention are uninhabitable for good reasons.
Several are deserts
The interior of Australia is the dry and nothing can live without water .
Patagonia is not human free a lot of people emigrated there from Wales and it’s land is used mainly for sheep .

In fact, of the remaining 29% of the earth's surface, 27% is covered by mountains, impenetrable jungle/forests and desert. So no sign of man's existence there then....
I fail to see your point here are you going to live on a mountain or in a desert ?

Apart from the odd dry stone wall at low levels, I have even walked/run all day on the North Yorks moors here in England and didn't see another soul. And the vast mountainous regions of Scotland go on forever with not a sign of human existence. We [the human race] are actually huddled around just the remaining 2% with the UK occupying just 0.21% of the earth's surface but with a helluva lot more people per square mile than most places.
I can only assume OGF you haven’t been out recently all those places you mention are HEAVING with people especially with the good weather staycations and all ,

Could it be that as the polar ice caps are melting, people living in the 'fast becoming desert' regions could perhaps move there?
Apart from the enormous size of this planet, that the 'Save the Planet crackpots' fail to understand, they also fail to understand that we are in fact 'part of nature' and at the moment are flourishing, but that won't always be the case. Nature is a great leveler, and just like the dinosaurs and dodo, we will also become extinct, when the food and oil run out, and there is not a thing any of us can do about it, so enjoy it while it lasts....
When the ice caps melt they will raise the sea level world wide .
Huge areas of the world will be inundated and uninhabitable .
The Gulf Stream will disappear and England will become like Newfoundland .
BTW the Dodo did not die out by natural extinction it was wiped out by sailors who killed it for food .

Page 11 of 51 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top