Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:17 AM

The green flash

When the sky is clear and you have an unobstructed view of the Sun at sunset, just as the sun disappears , or occasionally at sunrise, most often over the ocean, you can see a brief green flash. Science says it is caused by a scattering of light, into individual colors, similar to a prism. It lasts only a second or so, so you must be patient and not look away

I have seen it several times from the beaches of California over the Pacific ocean. However, never quite as clear and crisp as the photo below.

Who else has seen it ???

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	GFlash.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	14210  
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Re: The green flash

I've heard about it and studied the skys at sunset especially on the ocean but I've never seen it...thanks for posting the picture.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 08:12 AM

Only seen it a few times - usually over the sea - but never as vivid as in your photo! Thank you for sharing - it is lovely.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 08:15 AM

Never seen it or even heard of it until now, but looks a beautiful sight.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 08:41 AM

It happens JUST as the Sun disappears below the horizon. No looking away. It only lasts a second or two.

PS: for some reason it DOES NOT happen every evening. Perhaps something to do with the atmosphere. Dust in the air ???
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Yes i have seen it when I was living in the tropics .
It takes some looking for you must not take your eyes off the horizon .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
When the sky is clear and you have an unobstructed view of the Sun at sunset, just as the sun disappears , or occasionally at sunrise, most often over the ocean, you can see a brief green flash. Science says it is caused by a scattering of light, into individual colors, similar to a prism. It lasts only a second or so, so you must be patient and not look away

I have seen it several times from the beaches of California over the Pacific ocean. However, never quite as clear and crisp as the photo below.

Who else has seen it ???
I wish...........
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:39 AM

I have never seen or heard about it either.

It sounds an amazing sight to see, well done for being able to get the photo, Bakerman,
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 01:33 PM

Personally I've not seen it but a lot of the people here say they've seen it at Dunnet Beach. You get the most beautiful Sunsets there, I can see them from the back door.
We do get the Aurora though and I've watched that often.

early bird special bbq
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 04:28 PM

Wow - that is stunning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top