Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 11:41 AM

What to do ..

We are clearing out our attic and have come across a box with some of my late parents belongings .
None of it is valuable nor anything that I or my siblings want to keep . Little pictures remnants of childhood first communion certificates .It fills me with sadness looking at it all I have taken what might possibly be sold to the charity shop but how do people get rid of the detritus of living like this ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 11:58 AM

Re: What to do ..

I would choose and keep just one thing, Muddy.
Once its gone, its gone for ever, and if you regret it, it will be too late.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:03 PM

She had so little the things she kept were stuff I had made in childhood or given to her .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:23 PM

I still have most of my Mother & Grandmothers jewelry, Muddy, I will never wear it, but guess my Daughter will have it after me. She'll probably sell it. It's not rubbish. I've kept all the photo's too, some in albums. People I don't even remember or their names. Shame no one wrote who they were on the backs of them. I have done this with the people I remember though. It's sad no one will know who a lot of them were.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We are clearing out our attic and have come across a box with some of my late parents belongings .
None of it is valuable nor anything that I or my siblings want to keep . Little pictures remnants of childhood first communion certificates .It fills me with sadness looking at it all I have taken what might possibly be sold to the charity shop but how do people get rid of the detritus of living like this ?
Know the problem. A lot of it really is junk - but still...........
That said, we moved house about two years ago and I spent quite a bit of old stuff, much of it old documents, that I shredded. A lot of it - four of our large refuse bins full.

One thing I kept was photographs. Old photographs. Quite a few are from around 1900. Those are precious.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 12:38 PM

I have reduced it to a much smaller box I just can’t throw those things away .My children will have to do it .
The statues of the virgin and Christ the King I intend to sneak into the local RC church and abandon them .
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 12:49 PM

Could you take photos of the things, Muddy and dispose of them? That way you get rid of the clutter but not the memories?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 12:57 PM

What a good idea!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 02:01 PM

Tough one Muddy. In a strange way we were fortunate in that my parents had a house fire and most things had to be thrown out (both parents survived- my mother happened to be staying with us and my father had to sepnd time in hospitals then with us while we sorted their house out).

Only had a small number of things left - I got the piano, my brother got a couple of my great grandfathers drawings and my sister got the bronze horses, but all while my parents were still around.

One thing it did make me determined to do was to get rid of just about everything possible since I don't want my children to have to go through the hassle and, lets face it, emotions.

Think Pixie's idea is pretty good.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 02:08 PM

Yes I would like do this to give my children any stuff now -if they want it as opposed to later or get shut of it .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top