Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 09:07 PM

Re: What to do ..

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Muddy that is a difficult decision to make.

I kept a couple of things belonging to my Father, his cementing trowel and a magnifying glass both frequently used by my with fond memories.
I kept my husbands letters,his army medals and regimental items.
I would keep what is special to you and dispose of the rest.
Lovely keepsakes Meg I like the idea of using your dads trowel .
I still have dads told in the shed .
otherwise I have so little of my Dads - he was a simple man not much into possessions but in his things was his own fathers last letter to him .
( His father died too weeks later -my father was only a boy ) he kept it for the rest of his sad difficult life .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
While most have little interest, isn't there usually one, a niece or a cousin, who revels in such family history?

My sister-in-law, Mrs d00d's half brother ...

Maybe you should ask around.
As it happens in the box were some other WW1 medals
They belonged to my grandmothers second husband the kindest most lovely man who died when I was small but I remember him .They were in a little box with a note from my mother who was fond of him .
A few months back I was contacted through ancestry by his grand niece who told me of their family history .I have offered them his medals and she is very happy about this .They will have a good home with his brothers that are already displayed in their house ,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 09:24 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and sharing your memories with me .I have sealed up the smaller box now it will not be opened again in my lifetime .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thank you all for your suggestions and sharing your memories with me .I have sealed up the smaller box now it will not be opened again in my lifetime .

A wise choice, Muddy.
I think you might have regretted it, otherwise.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
As it happens in the box were some other WW1 medals
They belonged to my grandmothers second husband the kindest most lovely man who died when I was small but I remember him .They were in a little box with a note from my mother who was fond of him .
A few months back I was contacted through ancestry by his grand niece who told me of their family history .I have offered them his medals and she is very happy about this .They will have a good home with his brothers that are already displayed in their house ,
Good stuff.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top