Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Re: What Do You Use Kitchen Scissors For?

Good knife, good chopping board, nothing more essential.

However, I use scissors for trimming little bits off my red hot chilli pepper, goes straight into the pot of con carne sauce, don't want to get it on my fingers.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Am l an oddity (that was a silly question!) that l cut most food stuff up with a kitchen scissors?

I cut up lettuce, cabbage, pastry, chicken or beef into pieces, sliced onion into pieces, rind off bacon, sometimes sandwiches and much more with a scissors.
I find, l am not cutting up food stuff with a knife so much as l used to, as it’s quicker using kitchen scissors!

I bet many of you do this anyway! Are there any other things that maybe you use a scissors for, rather than a knife?
I am the dish washer in our partnership I leave the tech part of the kitchen to my beautiful lady
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How do you keep your scissors sharp, Art?

Have you a particular method, or gadget you would recommend for your kitchen scissors?
Mups, l must’ve had the scissors over ten years and l have never sharpened them. I’ve never even thought of sharpening them as they still cut well.
I only wash them by hand, l’ve never put them in the dishwasher.

I think l got them from Wilko? Here’s a pic.... as you can see they are nothing special.
I must try, Silver Tabby’s great tip about sharpening them.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2F12DB6-2F8D-4C3F-8C50-342E43C2AF50.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	11077  
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 06:13 PM

I use kitchen scissors to open the blister packs that new kitchen scissors come in
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I use kitchen scissors to open the blister packs that new kitchen scissors come in
Ha!
Blister packs are a freakin nightmare! (pardon my americanism!)
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
For most food I use one of my surgically sharp knives. However I do use a special scissors for cutting the rind from bacon and for making lardons. The main 'kitchen scissors' are used for cutting greaseproof paper, opening packets of dried fruit/beans/lentils - that sort of thing.
I'm the same Tabs

I went on a girlie weekend away a few years back with colleagues.
I was horrified to see two of them simultaneously start cutting our pizzas (just one of many dishes prepared) with scissors!!!
I thought I'd been transported to a tailor's workshop!!!
Why hadn't they heard of pizza cutters?
And why weren't they concerned about cutting down the middle first?
These are questions that still haunt my (mildly) foody OCD!!!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Cutting Pizza with scissors? That is a new one - I hope they sterilised them first!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

16-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Cutting Pizza with scissors? That is a new one - I hope they sterilised them first!
I didn't check!!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 09:39 PM

Kitchen??? erm let me think! Oh yes that is where "er indoors" rules. Once I swapped the sugar jar with the coffee jar on the kitchen work top. I would rather be told off by a sergeant major
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've never thought of using kitchen scissors for food. Do they work really well? Perhaps they are safer in that you're less likely to injure yourself. I think I'd be concerned about hygiene because how do you get them really clean at the join? There are scissors in the kitchen draw which I use to open parcels, cut through cellophane on flowers and cut bird seed bags open
Annie, l find it quicker to cut food up with the scissors than using a knife.
My scissors always look ok after washing them and no one has ever suffered any tummy upsets.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top