Join for free
Page 246 of 370 « First < 146 196 236 244 245 246 247 248 256 296 346 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 05:49 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's right Bratti, there's no need to go heavy. You can keep a very fit and healthy body shape with light weights, high reps and 3-4 sets. Training this way will keep the flab off and make the muscles harder and more defined without getting bulkier. You do need to do enough reps until "failure" sets in - then force out another 2-3 reps. I'll explain more in my write-up later.

I'm just normally compelled to test my strength all the time. It's very difficult to ease off on something you've been used to for years.
Thanks Floydy
I’d be interested to know exercises you are doing including sets and reps. I’m doing my exercises in sets until exhaustion and I can feel the difference.

Well sculptured arms look fabulous on men and women. I find well defined arms very sexy

Surfermom......We’ve been getting crazy weather here too, like -23 , feels like -35. Today’s not as bad . It’s not so bad and it’s warming up but we had a couple of weeks where walking the dogs wasn’t being done. Both my girls were lifting their paws looking back at me. Of course I’d scoop them up and walk back. They own me.

Stay warm Surfermom. The stairs sounds practical but I’d rather be outside like I’m sure you would but what a great mom you are.

Note: if I hadn’t taken my gym shoes out of my gym bag , last night wouldn’t have been wasted. Tonight the pools closed but I’d like to do some weight lifting and bicycling tonight so will go back. I have to wait until my husband leaves or my girls cry and wake him up. They are incredibly spoiled but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Have a great day everyone.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I’m at work tonight of course and this has destroyed my arms. Hopefully I’ll be desk-bound or I may jump on a forklift for most of the night!
I guess!
My muscles ached just reading it.
That’s intense but takes such dedication.
Good stuff.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I guess!
My muscles ached just reading it.
That’s intense but takes such dedication.
Good stuff.
Haha! I should be okay, my arms usually recover very quickly, unlike my legs which do take a couple of days
I'm certainly feeling the effects now in my arms though. They've expanded pretty well but they're looking rather heavy and useless, just hanging like fence posts at my sides lol!

My write-ups list all my exercise routines Bratti but if I get time tomorrow I'll post an update on the training I'm doing currently. List of exercises with sets, reps, weight etc....although it does change constantly as I alter my programme

Enjoy your swim/cycling/gym work tonight!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 06:24 PM

I like the sound of "well sculptured arms", but doesn't that mean arms like Madonna?
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 08:12 PM

what A delicious string of moments I am reading here. It has been months since I have read through this wonderful thread and I am both saddened and delighted about what has been going on. I have been jogging almost every day and spending a lot time doing yoga it really does strengthen the legs and putt you in a good frame of mind.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

29-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I like the sound of "well sculptured arms", but doesn't that mean arms like Madonna?
No. It just means well defined arms.
Not butch. Not manly. Just defined.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

31-01-2019, 03:36 AM

Tonight I worked out again at the gym and it was a great workout BUT I think I overdid my last workout. My recovery time took much longer and my shoulders and back hurt some. I think the 10 pound weight was a bit too much especially since I was doing so many reputations. Today I only used 5 pounds weights.

I also used a different machine today instead of the bicycle I normally use. It’s one of those ones that look like you’re cross country skiing or something. You don’t sit down. It burns more calories so I did 15 minutes .

I also used some other weight lifting machines. One was for stomach crunches and I used 50 pounds. I also used the rope machine for my arms on the highest setting. The most I do is 4 minutes . It’s effective.

Then I did my regular floor workout for my legs and even that was tough. I think I overtrained last time and I’ll keep note of it.

Floydy? Do you think from what I’ve written that I started with weights too heavy for me? I’d like an experienced opinion. I used to do weight lifting and I think I always pushed myself too much ; would hurt myself and stop.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 04:09 AM

Hi Bratti
Firstly, that sounds like a great workout you did there. Well done

The secret to keeping oneself fit, toned and even defined is to use light weights but with plenty of resistance on the final few reps. My arms workout on Tuesday was typical of a workout I do which isn't predominantly for building or bulking the muscles, but can actually increase strength and stamina.

You need to begin with a weight which feels too light but do as many reps as you can until you feel the muscles 'burn', then pause but hold the weight without putting it down whilst you catch your breath and physically force another 2-3 reps out. It CAN be done and this will seriously keep the muscles toned. Today, after a day of rest, my biceps and triceps are a little painful but I can definitely see an improvement to the definition and hardness without being any bigger.

My problem is that being an (ex)bodybuilder I cannot stop myself 'going heavy', which really isn't necessary for maintaining fitness, size and strength, but I do love to test myself all the time still. At 54 I'm still fit and pretty well muscly and showing no signs of any decrease in muscle as yet!

So I'd say to you, Bratti, to set yourself up for three sets with reps of 12, 10 and 6.
Use a light weight for the first set, another couple of pounds (or kilos) for the set of 8 and a little more for the final set.
Following each set, add another 2-3 reps after the 'failure point', which is when you think you are beat and you will feel the 'burn and pump' in your muscles.
Give these particular muscle groups a few days' rest whilst they grow back again stronger. On opposite days, train different body parts such as legs in a similar way.

Anytime I can help you Bratti, please give me a shout on here
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Hello, Cedromella! Nice to see you on this part of the forum again. It's good to hear that you are running everyday. Has the weather been an issue at all for you this time of year? Nice work on the yoga too. Thanks to some encouragement, I've added some light yoga to my evening routine.

Bratti, a little muscle ache is good - a sign that you are building muscle. Floyd's advice is to be respected; he knows more than most, on or off the forum! Like him, I realize that as we get older, maintaining muscle strength that was once accomplished with heavy weights can be managed with lots of reps with lower weights. I keep my arms sculpted using 3 pound weights doing an aerobics routine for 45 minutes.

Floydy, your advice is appreciated and you are right about changing expectations as we get older. The secret is finding a sweet spot and not trying to compare our bodies to our own twenty-something selves.

We have a polar vortex that has put our temperatures into subzero wind chill factors even as far south as North Carolina, so it's stair climbing for me today. I made the mistake of going up and down the hospital's nine stories during the lunch hour, which meant the stairwell was filled with doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff who wisely chose steps over elevators, but it made for an uneven climb in the narrow space. I think I'll try later in the day.

Fitness life is as good as it can be here. We are now in a bigger room so I can really spread out and do my aerobics, weight routine, and yoga in the room, and then follow up with the stairs climbing . Temperatures will warm up by Saturday making it possible to run four days in a row! I can't wait/weight !
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Hey Suzie! I have a great idea. I realise you are pretty well restricted to the hospital looking after your daughter at the moment, but when you eventually get out running and gym training again, perhaps you and Bratti could work out some sort of "cyberspace exercise routine" together. Set yourselves some exercises with goals and targets, go to the gym and do your stuff then return here with your results. Like a bit of competition with one another over the internet. How about it?

I know we in Britain are whingeing about the weather constantly and the nation is up in arms when a touch of freezing frost hits our cars and roads, but we should be thankful we don't have to suffer what you do out there. I saw Chicago on the news and they were 'basking' in temperatures of -30° yesterday!! Stay indoors, keep warm and pending those nuisance doctors and nurses chatting on the stairwell, keep that climbing going...you'll have bigger thighs than ol' Floydy soon!

- - - - - - - -

Thursday 31/1/19: Major muscle group tension training. 1 hour.
3 sets; Pause/hold at end of each set + extra reps (noted after each set).
(All weights in kgs)

Following Tuesday’s mega-strenuous arms workout which has seen some excellent (i.e. pretty much instant) development on those limbs, I adapted a routine on a similar theme today. Due to the heavier weights used I trimmed my programme down to three sets apiece for a standard 6-exercise format but adding more reps for the initial exercises to create a suitable “burn”. As with Tuesday’s session, the “hold” reps are the most important aspect here as they “seal” the muscles making them not only stronger but harder and more defined.

Incline Smith press, close-grip:
12x35 +5, 10x45 +3, 6x55 +1
*Performing the bench press on the Smith machine with a 15° incline and with the hands positioned very close together ensures maximum tension for the chest muscles, not to mention the triceps having to work harder.

Incline chest press:
12x40 +5, 10x50 +3, 6x60 +2
*The free weights version of the chest press pushing up at a ‘diagonal’ angle works the shoulders also.

Seated row:
12x41 +5, 10x47 +3, 6x53 +2

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
12x35 +5, 10x45 +3, 6x55 +2

DB flys, lying on bench, 15° incline:
12x24 +5, 10x28 +3, 6x32 +2

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
12x28 +5, 10x33 +3, 6x38 +2
*With my hands at the close grip position on the curved bar this caused more work to be done on the inner ‘belly’ of the biceps.

I wanted to put in an hour’s work, so I added three exercises for the legs. I kept the hold position but instead of doing individual sets, I did one continuous set but held the weight at the top for a few seconds then carried on until all the sets were done. So in effect, it’s virtually a continuous massive set of reps, the pausing only increasing the tension on the legs until I carry on again, powering the weight some more. These exercises are designed as part of a total bodybuilding workout and are extremely difficult to accomplish, though the end results can be well worth the pain and torture.

Sled leg press:
20x120 – hold - 20x120 – hold - 20x120 – hold - 20x120 – hold - 20x120 = 100 reps.
10x200 – hold - 10x200 – hold - 10x200 – hold - 10x200 – hold - 10x200 = 50 reps.
*Incredibly difficult to complete but I closed my eyes and simply thought of nothing else but pushing, pushing that weight even though my thighs were in spasm on the holds towards the final sets now lifting the full weight stack. Walking with jelly legs, I moved onto the next machine…

Seated hamstring curls:
10x50 – hold - 10x50 – hold - 10x50
5x60 – hold - 5x60 – hold - 5x60
*Again, holding the legs curled under the machine for a few seconds without the weight forcing them forwards was extremely hard work, the backs of the hams pumping out like steel girders!

Leg extensions:
10x100 – hold – 10x100 – hold – 10x100
*A nice(?) addition. Full stack lifts for the inner knee quad muscles and the tops of the thighs. Trying to maintain the resistance on the extended legs for a few seconds pauses was a nightmare.

At the end of this session I felt like I was blown up and expanded, my legs were especially wobbly. I now need a good rest but if all is well I may do my cardio session tomorrow – depending of course if my legs are still functioning. All good fun!

Thanks for reading.

Page 246 of 370 « First < 146 196 236 244 245 246 247 248 256 296 346 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top