Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 09:52 AM

Re: Lard

I remember lard was used for frying and roasting in the days before vegetable oil... big squares of white fat it's a wonder we are all still alive to tell the tale
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 10:04 AM

I love a slice of Vogels fried in goose fat. Does that count?

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
My grandad was gravely ill, so we smeared his back with lard..after that he went downhill fast.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
Is lard still available?
Are Lardy Cakes really made using lard?
I spotted Lard in Sainsbury's just a few days ago. I'm not sure if it has made a come back or it has been there all the time and I hadn't noticed it.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I spotted Lard in Sainsbury's just a few days ago. I'm not sure if it has made a come back or it has been there all the time and I hadn't noticed it.
I think it has been there all the time. I have certainly seen in it recent years, although I haven't bought it for yonks and yonks.

Years ago, when I used to make pastry, the fat of choice was half lard and half margarine.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Lard is pig fat isn't it? I've never used it but my Dad and my Nan used to in cooking.

I had dripping as a kid, Mum used to clean the living quarters of a pub where they did hot food and after the weekend there'd be tons of dripping after the joints had been cooked and used. I used to go to work with her during school holidays and I used to get a doorstep of bread and dripping at 10am. We also had it at home after a roast had been cooked.

When I worked in a chip shop the frying oil took the form of massive blocks of white fat or...solid oil, not sure how to describe it. I don't even know what it was made of, probably vegetable oil. But once the fryers were turned off and it cooled down it was just a massive solid lump of white fat
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Lard availability... I will avoid it

Still laughing about longdogs lardy grandad
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 02:51 PM

My grandad was gravely ill, so we smeared his back with lard..after that he went downhill fast.....
That's the best laugh I've had this week - thanks for that
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 04:29 PM

As an infant, Dragon used to give me a chunk of lard to eat and I ate it like eating a bar of chocolate.

Dripping sarnies too - used to love them liberally salted and peppered.

I still buy and cook with lard - prefer that to vegetable oil.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 04:40 PM

I choked the tears of laughter back because I was in the office and howling at the computer is a pretty big giveaway that I am not working.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top