Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I fell in love with Doris Day when I was 9 and saw her in the film “Calamity Jane”, she was as tough as any cowboy and nothing ‘girlie’ about her, that was it, she was one of the boys, I have loved her ever since, truly talented lady with a great voice. I nearly turned off James Cagney for life when I saw him slappin’ her around in that film “Love Me or Leave Me”
Rest in peace dear lady.

I’m laughing to myself here as I just remembered something, it’s one of those things where one shouldn’t laugh but one can’t help it if you know what I mean.
There was an old lad up in the local who used to sing one of her songs “Secret Love”, it was his party piece and he sang nothing else, wouldn’t have been too bad if he had a decent voice, he was an energetic old fella and when he got to the part “Now I shout it from the highest hill…” he would stand up on the high bar stool and spread his arms wide. One night he had one too many, and yes you guessed it, he fell off the stool and broke his leg, God forgive us all but that got him a bigger clap than his singing ever did.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Yebbut....what you think you may type and the reality of your final offering,avec corrections,is equivalent to what MAY happen you if don't engage and utilise your abilities...and what WOULD happen if those abilities didn't exist. But they do-which is WHY you can type without spellnig mistakes-or at least make it appear so. Ergo,it remains 'future,present,past' in that order,my dear RJ.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Yebbut....what you think you may type and the reality of your final offering,avec corrections,is equivalent to what MAY happen you if don't engage and utilise your abilities...and what WOULD happen if those abilities didn't exist. But they do-which is WHY you can type without spellnig mistakes-or at least make it appear so. Ergo,it remains 'future,present,past' in that order,my dear RJ.
As a matter of interest My Dear RJ is an anagram of Mad Jerry
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 10:07 PM

Mad Jerry, I love that, wish it was my username.

Thinking about time, well here’s my tuppence worth.
A wise old Country Farmer once told me that a dream is a mixture of the past the present and the future, he might have something there. Time does not exist in space, nor in dreams, one could have dozens of epic dream adventures in one night, and one would be lucky to remember the last one. Last week hasn’t happened yet in some parts of space.
Man invented time as a means of calculating his existence, all creatures probably have a system of measuring their existence, when to mate, when to seek food etc., the butterfly only lives for a day yet it crams a whole lifetime into that day, gives a whole new slant on that old saying “It’s all in a days work"
The trouble with mankind is we cannot comprehend eternity, we have to have a beginning and an end to everything, yet we are quite content in the knowledge that there is no final number, we start off with 1 because we have to have our start, yet WE put the 1 there, it wasn’t there until we decided to start counting, it didn’t exist, counting numbers is a man made thing, but we don’t seem bothered that there is no end to counting, it goes on for eternity, we are smugly satisfied that we have our start.
We cannot understand that planets and space were always there, we have to find a ‘start’ to it all so we invent a big bang, we will probably try to justify that by saying that it will also be a big bang that ends it, by what the heck, we’re alive now why worry about the end, the start is all that matters, sort of “cross your bridges when you come to them” attitude, rape the world now and let future generations pay later.
As one scientist said in a program about space and time on BBC4 not so long ago when he was asked an awkward question “The truth is we just ain’t smart enough to figure out these things” How refreshing to hear him admit that, and how true it is, fact is when it comes to time and space we're all stooo-ped.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 10:15 PM

Nag a Ram is an anagram of anagram, and Go Dear Baty is an anagram of goaty beard.

Bugger goatee, square peg round hole, so what.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Mankind does seem to take a great delight in constantly fiddling, altering, amending and buggering up most things it touches especially if it works well.

Look at all the ways simple names keep getting lengthened to supposedly make them sound better. George Carlin did a brilliant sketch about this in 1988 and it is still relevant today

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

18-05-2019, 08:09 PM

I enjoyed that video Solo, thanks for posting it.

Watched an old film the other night with George Formby called “Get Cracking” a terrible film, I don’t know about you but I never found Formby funny, he went a bit overboard with the stupid innocent act in my opinion, and that Red Rum smile of his is just too good to be true. But to give him his due he did great work for military moral during the war.
The picture carried a PG certificate, I agree with them, it was Positively Ghastly.

I believe his wife Beryl was a real dragon who controlled him completely, she handled all the finances and used to give him pocket money every week, then he’d have to tell her what he spent it on.
Any man who could take all that from his wife while working all the hours God sent has to be a proper gobshite, or was he up to something else on the sly? Beryl was a mere seven weeks dead when he announced his engagement to a younger woman.

I was always interested in the cinema and actors, also the theatre especially Abbey actors and the Abbey Theatre. I read an awful lot about this ‘hobby’ of mine as a younger man and if there were any biographies on the actors I would get them from the library, autobiographies I don’t trust, no popular performer is ever going to write anything bad about themselves. It’s fascinating to read the lives of these people who thrilled us on screen and stage, some tragic tales too, some of their lives are more interesting than the characters they portray.
There are no less than five biographies about George formby out there, the extracts below are taken from David Brett’s book.

“He was the highest-paid British entertainer of his day. At his peak he earned the equivalent of £1.5million a movie, mostly thanks to the negotiating skills of Beryl.
But their partnership – professional and private – became increasingly strained. She gave him only five shillings (25p) a week pocket money. The only large outlay was their home in Lytham St Annes near Blackpool. It was duly named Beryldene. Beryl remained highly protective of George and would fly into a rage if he went near another woman, as Carry On star Irene Handl once recalled.
“She was such a nasty, spiteful piece of work to just about everyone, including George,” she said.
“She was so twisted and conniving it was impossible to work out what was going on inside that head of hers.”
At one point Beryl banned George from kissing his leading ladies but the public were blissfully unaware of the friction. In fact, by the time he finished touring the world entertaining troops in 1945, national treasure George was rewarded with an OBE”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 10:01 PM

Is an OBE, like an ORB?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 09:39 AM

I don't think George got over the fact that his granny Sarah used to be an Ashton under Lyne prostitute with 140 crimes underneath her belt..along with other unmentionables. .

As for Beryl the one time clog dancer...No wonder he kept saying "Turned out nice again" if only to convince himself if nobody else. Odd couple if ever there was one or as we say oop North.."Nowt more funnier than folk"

Reminds me of this .

An Actor's Revenge
by Richard John Scarr

He had positioned himself stage center.
And was giving the audience his all.
When suddenly a seat went up with a "Crash!"
And a woman walk down from the stalls.

And ignoring the audience hissing.
And the thespian's renderings too.
She crossed in front of the Footlights.
And disappeared into the Loo.

And feeling decidedly slighted.
The actor waited, enraged.
And when the woman came out of the Loo,
he walked to the front of the stage.

Then adopting a theatrical posture.
And in a voice filled with venom and bite.
That carried its way clear up to the Gods
He delivered the best of the night!

He said: "Madam. Whilst there in the privy.
Could you hear my excellent King Lear?
You couldn't? Well I find that amazing.
For we heard you quite clearly out here!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Mankind does seem to take a great delight in constantly fiddling, altering, amending and buggering up most things it touches especially if it works well.

Look at all the ways simple names keep getting lengthened to supposedly make them sound better. George Carlin did a brilliant sketch about this in 1988 and it is still relevant today
Thanks solo, I enjoyed that. I have to admit I had never heard of George Carlin before.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top