Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:05 PM

Re: Did you used to smoke?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
My husband and I were very heavy smokers, we both smoked 40 each per day, sometimes more if we were having a drink on a weekend. How we afforded it I have no idea as they cost £5 a packet back when we smoked.

I got a very bad bout of bronchitis and I was very poorly and collapsed. It frightened me and I vowed on New Years Eve that I would smoke my last cigarette, this was in the October before so I mentally prepared myself that I was never going to smoke again after New Years Eve.

I remember telling my husband "I'm going to quit smoking, I don't expect you to give up with me but it would be good if we could do this together" He told me he wasn't ready to quit which I respected his decision even if I was a bit disappointed.

So come New Years Eve I docked my last cigarette just a couple of minutes before midnight and I have never touched another one since. This was 12 years ago.

I quit cold turkey and for some reason I didn't find it hard this time round, I think probably because I really did want to stop this time, I didn't want to put anymore nails in my own coffin.

The best thing is my husband watched how I didn't have a cigarette and I think he must have thought to himself if she can do it I can, he put on a patch 2 days after New Years Day and he has never smoked since either. On the 3rd day after New Year he forgot to put a patch on so he knew he didn't need the patches, he only wore patches for that one day.

Go us!

Now when I smell anyone who smokes I think urgh, did I really smell like that, I never noticed when I was smoking myself.

I don't mind people smoking around me, if they want to smoke it's their business but it really doesn't smell nice
Exactly what I did. If you tell enough people about your intention to stop, I think it strengthens your resolve to do it. I didn't go `cold turkey`, I just stopped and that was it.

My son-in-law died of lung cancer through smoking four years ago in April. He was the only one in the family who smoked and although we all encouraged and cajoled him into stopping he couldn't and he paid the ultimate price.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:13 PM

I smoked a Woodbine at the age of 11..

I didn't see the point of it, smoking, so I never had another in all of the 60 intervening years.
My dad smoked 40 a day at his worst time, poor dad couldn't give it up even after both his legs were amputated due to the habit Lung cancer anda dose of NHS MRSA . He survived until he was 80.
His older brother died of cirrhosis of the liver aged 75.

The oldest brother didn't smoke and didn't drink and retired
from the MET after 30 years in Streatham Police Station, moved to OZ where he continued to play bowls until he was 97.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I smoked a Woodbine at the age of 11..

I didn't see the point of it, smoking, so I never had another in all of the 60 intervening years.
My dad smoked 40 a day at his worst time, poor dad couldn't give it up even after both his legs were amputated due to the habit Lung cancer anda dose of NHS MRSA . He survived until he was 80.
His older brother died of cirrhosis of the liver aged 75.

The oldest brother didn't smoke and didn't drink and retired
from the MET after 30 years in Streatham Police Station, moved to OZ where he continued to play bowls until he was 97.
Blood 'ell, that was a long game.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:16 PM

60+ a day, 1986 stopped, circumstances changed.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Blood 'ell, that was a long game.
My grammar & punctuation sucks.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:46 PM

Smoking Sucks.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:50 PM

I stopped smoking (and not just tobacco either) on the day that I graduated in 1966.

Stopped stone dead.

Had a couple of weeks sorta missing tobacco, but not 'Mother Nature'.

In spite of what so many people think unlike tobacco it's not physically addictive.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-06-2019, 10:57 PM

Never believed Tobacco is addictive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 11:31 PM

I used to smoke, but gave up in '96.
Never touched one since, and can't bear the stink of 'em either.

I often think smokers haven't a clue how bad they smell because you can't seem to smell it when you smoke yourself.

Another thing I hate, is the smell of stale smoke in someone's car.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 12:58 AM

I used to smoke in my younger days; at University and for a few years after. I moonlighted as a musician playing in a lot of smoke filled pubs and clubs and it never occurred to me to give it away back then. But good sense took control about 25 years ago and I gave it up. It was a bit hard at first but I was lucky as I was never a very heavy smoker so the nicotine addiction wasn't too strong. The associative aspects were more difficult to kick..While having a beer or after a nice meal etc. And my wife is an almost evangelical anti smoker so that helped!. All in all I haven't missed it. A pack of smokes these days in Australia can cost as much as $50 depending on the size of the pack. A pack of 20 can cost $25 to $30.
So yes I have saved megabucks over the years.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top