Join for free
Page 179 of 190 « First < 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:28 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

I think the fence mending is going to take longer than I expected. After removing a couple of decaying boards I found that the supporting lats were also turning to apple crumble...
And trying to work in 34*C was a bit of a struggle.
Things seen in Foxy's yard while fence mending......
A glance at the thermometer had me rushing in for a cold glass of water.....

And before work could start on the fence I had to make sure the local insects were moved to safety....Although I haven't got a clue what it is...Any ideas?

It's half nine in the evening now and we've just had the most amazing thunderstorm. I can still hear it rumbling in the distance, I don't think it's finished with us yet. Anyway, my eyes are getting heavy, I've just had to close the back door, and it's so hot and humid it's like bathing in tomato soup....I don't think it will keep me awake though.....Goodnight you two!......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 09:32 PM

A crawly....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Thanks for your in depth description of the unidentified beetle Mags.....

I took delivery of a new 'Chop Saw' yesterday and it couldn't have come at a better time while I'm repairing the fence, it takes the strain out of cutting timber, although it's bigger than it looked in the brochure..Bloody heavy too... Anyway, I've found a temporary home for it in the garage, but can't use it there because it doesn't half make a mess, so I hump it out every time I need to cut something.....

Talking about 'Humping'.....after working until late yesterday instead of my usual lazy Saturday, I was a bit worried about my long run this morning. I was out on the road for six thirty and after the initial stiffness, It went surprisingly well. Nice and cool for the first half due to a covering of cloud, and then at five miles all the clouds disappeared and out came the sun. So between the hot sun, and yesterday's bodging up the fence, the last two were a bit of a struggle. Despite that though, the time wasn't to shoddy for an eight and a quarter miles.....

Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 01:37 PM

Good to hear you are still getting out and about OGF got to admire you. Since I have been working from home during this lockdown I have been lazy. I usually run at least three times a week but that has dropped to one.....yea I know! I did do a runner yesterday though, I went into the supermarket to buy some coffee for hubby and as I hate the stuff I asked this guy who was looking too, he said did I want to try his special blend!!! I was out of there in a time Usain Bolt would have approved of.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 02:00 PM

Yep, sounds like you left in an "Instant" Cedronella.

Fair times considering Foxy, I think I could without training manage one mile only, in about 12 minutes, given the fact I walk very quickly large distances.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
Good to hear you are still getting out and about OGF got to admire you. Since I have been working from home during this lockdown I have been lazy. I usually run at least three times a week but that has dropped to one.....yea I know! I did do a runner yesterday though, I went into the supermarket to buy some coffee for hubby and as I hate the stuff I asked this guy who was looking too, he said did I want to try his special blend!!! I was out of there in a time Usain Bolt would have approved of.
Thanks Cedronella, you did right to avoid the freak, but any training is good training.... I've been chased by a few dogs in my time (caught and bit on one occasion!....) but never some oddball lurking down a Tesco Isle...
Sometimes it's handy to be a runner, so keep up the good work Cedronella, and it's always good to hear about your progress....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-08-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Yep, sounds like you left in an "Instant" Cedronella.

Fair times considering Foxy, I think I could without training manage one mile only, in about 12 minutes, given the fact I walk very quickly large distances.

Good on yer Spitty. When I used to do long (50 mile plus) fell events there were walkers who wouldn't be all that far behind the runners. These days they would out walk me, no problem, so I never underestimate a fast walker.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-08-2020, 11:23 AM

There is a distant hill in Derbyshire called 'Win Hill' overlooking the Ladybower Dam, and back in 1971 at the age of 21 while out on a Sunday afternoon drive with my intended we stopped at a pub on the 'Snake Pass'..In beautiful hot and sunny weather we sat outside clutching a cold glass of beer and I gazed up at this monster of hill that lay before me and I made a resolution to someday climb that beast....

I didn't realise it then, but I was drawn to the high and wild places, I think I always was; And a few years later I assembled a small party of work colleagues and made Win Hill the centre of a five mile walk in the Dark Peak District of Derbyshire. It changed my life forever! For the next forty plus years I have used every opportunity to run and walk those moors and fells.....It has led me to run both on and off the fells, and as well as probably saving my life after two Heart Attacks, it has been my obsession.

Who could have dreamed, as I sat sipping my beer on that barmy sunny afternoon back in 1971 that I would still be running into my seventies...These were my thoughts this morning as I ventured out under a cloudless sky, with just the birds for company as I jogged silently round the lanes and bridleways of my regular five mile running course.....And it turned out to be surprisingly fast!

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 11:28 AM

You make your runs sound so interesting that it’s no wonder you enjoy it so much, Bob.

There’s is nothing interesting running around the roads of a big city.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-08-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You make your runs sound so interesting that it’s no wonder you enjoy it so much, Bob.

There’s is nothing interesting running around the roads of a big city.
Thanks Mags, I'm so glad you enjoy my little wanders down memory lane.... It was hard (but enjoyable) while I was doing it, but now I come to the best bit of remembering, reminiscing and writing about it. And it's even better if someone like you appreciates it.....Thanks again Mags....

Page 179 of 190 « First < 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top