Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 11:54 PM

Re: The English Habit

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I remember the public service advert 'Always use freshly drawn water' or something like that.
1941 is just a bit before my time! "stale water = stale tea" Overboiled water was considered insipid.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How come you decided to stop taking sugar Bruce?
It's been over 50 years since I stopped taking three teaspoons full of sugar, I realised that was probably a little excessive. I now just take the one.
I understand that sugar is a bit of a drug, the more sweetness you put into your mouth, the more it dulls your taste and you have to use more to get the same sweet hit, I'm very strict though and don't start exceeding the one. On the few occasions that I stopped sugar all together even things that are not usually classed as sweet, taste sweet, so it just goes to show the effect it has. I would never use sweeteners because for one thing, they are really bad for your health, and while ever your body is getting that sweet hit you will never be rid of the craving.
To be honest I can't remember what made me what to change from sugar to sweetener but I am glad I gave up sugar.

Many years later I read a book called Sweet Poison by David Gillespie which also made me glad I did.

I am not fanatical about it, I still eat lollies, cakes and biscuits but I definitely prefer tea and coffee without sugar.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Pinching sugar from cafes ?You be careful young man . Think of the embarrassment if you’re caught ? I say that to a friend who does the same with salt !
Better not tell you about the packets of sweeteners that disappear into our pockets as well then, eh?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 01:10 AM

HP sauce ? Tomato Ketchup? Salad Cream?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 05:08 PM

HP sauce ? Tomato Ketchup? Salad Cream?
No need to nick those - store cupboard regulars except it's Daddy's rather than HP sauce
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 08:29 PM

My husband took some sachets of Salad cream from a local pub and left them on my sideboard. One of them burst open and took all the colour out of the wood. What on earth is it doing to our stomachs .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 10:04 PM

The acid in our stomach can deal with it ,don’t worry !
Zuleika
North West UK

20-02-2021, 11:59 AM

Just doing my next week’s online grocery shop @ Tesco .
Would you believe , fruit teabags apart , there are 60 teas to choose from? .
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2021, 12:16 PM

Just doing my next week’s online grocery shop @ Tesco .
Would you believe , fruit teabags apart , there are 60 teas to choose from? .
More opportunities for them to substitute.....i hate it when they do that. Even if I specify Decaff, its always regular tea. I take it because I don't want to be rude, but really? Decaff isn't that hard to find in most brands.
Zuleika
North West UK

20-02-2021, 05:32 PM

There are at least 10 de caffeinated brands .
You would have to specify whose brand you would accept in the Note box next to Substitute , if they didn’t have the one on your order .

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top