Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:05 AM

Re: Amateur photography : Hints & Tips

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
editing is a very powerful tool, used in the wrong hands could spell disaster for someone.
with this thread "Hints and tips" were asked for by Minx so I posted a small fraction of the things that can be done. Normally I would not even go this far. That editing suit i use does loads more which is why I recommended it. it also does a step by step how to and videos as well

restoring old photos I love having a go at. This is of my late parents taken with a very old film camera and this original was left to go a sepia colour all over

Knowing the colours that should be there helped,but even so too many hours of editing time and again to get this far

Still not perfect as this has a lot of grain "noise" in the photo
and not good as i wanted but better than the original sepia photo I copied from and very personal to me
I'd say that photo would be better by not trying to restore the original colours but by converting it to black and white and then re-colouring. A bit less sharpening too perhaps.

It's not as far gone as this photo but re-colouring in yours might be a better approach. The Wallpaper in the photo below is obviously imaginary. Just thought I'd put some sort of background there.

This was done using Corel Photo-Paint. I have Adobe Elements installed but have come to prefer PaintShop Pro these days.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->

This was done using Corel Photo-Paint. I have Adobe Elements installed but have come to prefer PaintShop Pro these days.
You've made a good job of that, mart. Stan Ogden has come out particularly well, I thought.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:38 AM

Thanks Harbal - I should just say that the colouring wasn't done on the original scanned photo. This was converted to greyscale and then another invisible layer was placed on top of it. The colouring was done on that layer. A bit like putting a sheet of Perspex over a photo and painting on that.

It doesn't look good while being done but then some transparency is added to the colour layer so that the black and white photo beneath is allowed to show through. The result is as seen.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:42 AM

Thanks Harbal - I should just say that the colouring wasn't done on the original scanned photo. This was converted to greyscale and then another invisible layer was placed on top of it. The colouring was done on that layer. A bit like putting a sheet of Perspex over a photo and painting on that.

It doesn't look good while being done but then some transparency is added to the colour layer so that the black and white photo beneath is allowed to show through. The result is as seen.
The end result looks natural; you wouldn't be aware that it was edited.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:43 AM

Excellent!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:41 AM

There are so many editing apps. I’m overwhelmed but will ‘test’ them all
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:43 AM

I'm a big fan of Paint.Net

It's uncomplicated, yet advanced.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

16-07-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
There are so many editing apps. I’m overwhelmed but will ‘test’ them all
Corel Photo-Paint was the one I used for years but I don't think this is available as a stand-alone program. It comes as part of the CorelDraw Suite of graphics/image programs and this costs hundreds of Pounds. A lot of professionals use it but more for its vector drawing capabilities rather than photo work. The photo part of the program is very good though.

There is a cut-down version called 'Home & Student' available for around £100 but I don't think the latest versions of that include Photo-Paint (might be wrong). Earlier versions of Home & Student have it though and could be affordable. I have CorelDraw H&S version X7, bought some years ago.

There are some very good free or affordable image programs available such as those mentioned in the thread. I have tried most of them and come to the conclusion that although the free ones can be very good, paid for programs are better. Just a personal opinion.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I'm a big fan of Paint.Net

It's uncomplicated, yet advanced.

Just tried to have a look at that d00d, the domain is parked on Godaddy.

Eta found it on getpaint.net
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:08 PM

I'd say that photo would be better by not trying to restore the original colours but by converting it to black and white and then re-colouring. A bit less sharpening too perhaps.

It's not as far gone as this photo but re-colouring in yours might be a better approach. The Wallpaper in the photo below is obviously imaginary. Just thought I'd put some sort of background there.

That is superb Mart. That's how it should be done.

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top