Join for free
Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 12:42 PM

Re: Me, me, me.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Bicycles should only speak when they are Spoken to Spitty...
You are right OGF, a lot of people think I'm a bit Cranky
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Winky?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 12:47 PM

Nudge nudge.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am also polite but,if somebody was chatting to me constantly I would have no problem saying " Sorry I will have to end our chat because I need to finish this book that I am returning to a friend today.
So do you actually always carry a book with you for the purpose of fending off verbal nuisances, Twinkle? If not, you would have a problem saying that. After thinking about it, it seems to me that if you don't want to offend the person by telling them to shut up and go away, the best way to deal with the situation is to be more boring than they are. Drive them away, but make it their decision.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 12:59 PM

Earphones...that's always a good plan for avoiding unwanted conversation. Listen to something or not, but have them in your ears anyway.
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

26-07-2021, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
[/B]

Bicycles should only speak when they are Spoken to Spitty...
Groooaaa ...

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You are right OGF, a lot of people think I'm a bit Cranky
... oooaaannn!

LOL!
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

26-07-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Earphones...that's always a good plan for avoiding unwanted conversation. Listen to something or not, but have them in your ears anyway.
Good idea, Pixie. And don't forget to rock your head back and forth too!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I believe you can learn something from everybody you meet.
You haven't met the neighbour who lived in the flat downstairs when I moved here in 2004. I saw he looked a bit distressed one day and, naive as I was in those days, I asked if he was ok. I was treated to a tearful conversation about the horrible aliens who had stolen his garden - not that either of us had one because we lived in terraced flats. Alarm bells clanged, and I left him to it... He was a schizophrenic who very often stopped taking his meds, loved taking drugs and who was also an alcoholic. Trust me when I say there's NOTHING you want to learn from someone like that.

I ignored him thereafter and counted my blessings when he was carted off somewhere after a couple of years. He's the reason I involve myself with none of my neighbours. It's not worth the potential hassle.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
So do you actually always carry a book with you for the purpose of fending off verbal nuisances, Twinkle? If not, you would have a problem saying that. After thinking about it, it seems to me that if you don't want to offend the person by telling them to shut up and go away, the best way to deal with the situation is to be more boring than they are. Drive them away, but make it their decision.
I was just suggesting how Artangel could end the conversation with the lady, without being rude.
I don't mind chatting to strangers,but if it went on for an hour I would always find a more gentle way to tell them, rather than saying "Shut up and go away". Why be rude to somebody when you can end the conversation without being unpleasant?
Anyway, like I said, I am not going to get into an argument with anybody so I will just leave the thread!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 02:20 PM

My problem is not with a neighbour but a Technician at work.
EVERY topic of conversation will somehow return to her, her life, her family, her friends, her thoughts, her opinions, her experiences... and she'll even cut people off mid-sentence in order to continue with reinforcing her point
I think she did go through a kind of breakdown during the second lickdown and although she is markedly improved, I don't think she is quite the full shilling still. This has made her even more self- obsessed/centred.
I take on more than my fair share of "keeping her busy" (it is supposed to be a 3 department split but hasn't been since she started to wobble) She has a tendency to talk at me instead of concentrating properly on her given jobs. I have reached the stage now where I will type at my PC and ignore her or finish the job she has been given to do in half the time! I make just enough right noises to appear polite/like I'm still listening.

Why don't I just pull her up about it I don't know. Is it her vulnerability? Would she even play the mental health card now if I did? It's a treacherous path we tread, avoiding hurting others

Page 10 of 13 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top