Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:43 PM

Did you used to smoke?

Were you a smoker?

Did you give up smoking?

How long ago?

Was it hard to break the addiction?

Do you feel better for it?

What have you done with all the saved money?

I used to smoke, about 20 a day, whilst in the MN (very cheap to get cigarettes & tobacco back then).

I gave up when the company I worked for introduced smoking areas - which meant a trek to a different floor to share the heavily polluted air in a smoking room.

Don't miss it at all!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:46 PM

Re: Did you used to smoke?

I stopped on New Year's Day 1984 as part of a NY resolution. I told everyone weeks before that I was going to stop on that date and I did. Haven't touched one since.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I stopped on New Year's Day 1984 as part of a NY resolution. I told everyone weeks before that I was going to stop on that date and I did. Haven't touched one since.
Would you be tempted if someone offered you a quality cigar at your Christmas Table?

That was the difficult one for me.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:55 PM

I’ve never ever smoked, although all my family did, my mum, dad sister, gran and two aunts, sometimes, when I got home from school there was a fog in our front room, as they all sat there chuffing away, I spent most of my childhood in my bedroom, as I couldn’t stand to be in a room full of smoke....there’s only my sister left now, most of them succumbed to smoking related diseases...awful habit...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:56 PM

I have been a non smoker for over 27yrs,..but you do know,just because I gave up all of those yrs ago,..I am not safe.

I could develop COPD...I know quite a few ex smokers,who developed this lung disease.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

04-06-2019, 09:57 PM

One of my Grandsons gave up by switching to one of those inhaler things.

I know he's around, in my garden, because there's so much smoke that it reminds me of the old days when steam trains let off steam whilst in the station - way back when!

Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:57 PM

My husband and I were very heavy smokers, we both smoked 40 each per day, sometimes more if we were having a drink on a weekend. How we afforded it I have no idea as they cost £5 a packet back when we smoked.

I got a very bad bout of bronchitis and I was very poorly and collapsed. It frightened me and I vowed on New Years Eve that I would smoke my last cigarette, this was in the October before so I mentally prepared myself that I was never going to smoke again after New Years Eve.

I remember telling my husband "I'm going to quit smoking, I don't expect you to give up with me but it would be good if we could do this together" He told me he wasn't ready to quit which I respected his decision even if I was a bit disappointed.

So come New Years Eve I docked my last cigarette just a couple of minutes before midnight and I have never touched another one since. This was 12 years ago.

I quit cold turkey and for some reason I didn't find it hard this time round, I think probably because I really did want to stop this time, I didn't want to put anymore nails in my own coffin.

The best thing is my husband watched how I didn't have a cigarette and I think he must have thought to himself if she can do it I can, he put on a patch 2 days after New Years Day and he has never smoked since either. On the 3rd day after New Year he forgot to put a patch on so he knew he didn't need the patches, he only wore patches for that one day.

Go us!

Now when I smell anyone who smokes I think urgh, did I really smell like that, I never noticed when I was smoking myself.

I don't mind people smoking around me, if they want to smoke it's their business but it really doesn't smell nice
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Would you be tempted if someone offered you a quality cigar at your Christmas Table?

That was the difficult one for me.
No. Even the smell of smoking puts me off these days, and heavy smokers tend to stink when you're stood next to them. Ugh!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:03 PM

I stopped in 2002. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. The health benefits of stopping were enormous. I did really love smoking though. I was aware of the health risks and was always stopping and starting. It used to be such a social thing when I was a teen. I never want to be that addicted to anything again.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:04 PM

For me - cigarettes no - weed yes but now I vape or digest it
My husband - cigarettes for about 35 years
Now he occasionally vapes with those flavoured liquids with zero nicotine
The smell is so much nicer. It was really difficult for him though

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top