Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 02:36 PM

The Barchester Chronicles By Anthony Trollope.

This is something not everyone would enjoy. It was first shown on BBC1 in the early 1980’s.
I was thrilled to find the 7 part series on YouTube.

It has so many famous names appearing in it...
Donald Pleasence and his daughter Angela.
Nigel Hawthorne
Clive Swift
Geraldine McEwan... l love the way she speaks in it!
Susan Hampshire
Barbara Flynn
My favourite Alan Rickman playing the slimy Reverend Obadiah Slope.
Plus many more...

Some will be put off because it’s to do with the church but the storyline is just so good and an insight into how people used to converse in those times, so clipped and precise.
It starts off a bit boring, then when the Rev Slope arrives it gets better.

There are some wonderful names in it like, Job Sculpit, Dr Vesey Stanhope, Sir Abraham Haphazard, Letitia Quiverful and Abel Handy.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 02:48 PM

Re: The Barchester Chronicles By Anthony Trollope.

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
This is something not everyone would enjoy. It was first shown on BBC1 in the early 1980’s.
I was thrilled to find the 7 part series on YouTube.

It has so many famous names appearing in it...
Donald Pleasence and his daughter Angela.
Nigel Hawthorne
Clive Swift
Geraldine McEwan... l love the way she speaks in it!
Susan Hampshire
Barbara Flynn
My favourite Alan Rickman playing the slimy Reverend Obadiah Slope.
Plus many more...

Some will be put off because it’s to do with the church but the storyline is just so good and an insight into how people used to converse in those times, so clipped and precise.
It starts off a bit boring, then when the Rev Slope arrives it gets better.

There are some wonderful names in it like, Job Sculpit, Dr Vesey Stanhope, Sir Abraham Haphazard, Letitia Quiverful and Abel Handy.
Art I have read some Anthony Trollope as he was recommended to me by my brother (who is now a Doctor of English) but not this novel.
I know what you mean about the language. It takes some getting used to but it is almost poetically concise. Once you have read some of his books it's difficult not to find others wanting
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Art I have read some Anthony Trollope as he was recommended to me by my brother (who is now a Doctor of English) but not this novel.
I know what you mean about the language. It takes some getting used to but it is almost poetically concise. Once you have read some of his books it's difficult not to find others wanting
Rhian, l can understand why your brother recommended Anthony Trollope to you. I love what he writes.
I cannot imagine people speaking in such a correct manner these days, or even wearing such cumbersome clothing!
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 03:04 PM

I loved that series, it started a continuing passion for Trollope, and Donald Pleasance, his Septimus Harding!!!!! swoooooon, my idea of the perfect man, gentle, kind, modest, honest, what more could one want.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 03:05 PM

Fantastic novel - beautiful language - excellent transition to TV and as for Alan Rickman - he could read Hansard and make it sound exciting!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 03:07 PM

I definitely need to find this!
Thanks for the heads up Art 😁👍
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Fantastic novel - beautiful language - excellent transition to TV and as for Alan Rickman - he could read Hansard and make it sound exciting!

ooh his Obadiah Slope, what a performance, makes my skin itch just thinking about it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2021, 03:24 PM

It was a good production Art I thought it had been on TV since but I may be mistaken and it was on the radio .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Maver-rik ->
I loved that series, it started a continuing passion for Trollope, and Donald Pleasance, his Septimus Harding!!!!! swoooooon, my idea of the perfect man, gentle, kind, modest, honest, what more could one want.
Maver-rik, lt’s so sad, that most of the actors in it have now died.

Watching Donald Pleasence, l saw him in a different way to how l did when l was younger.
He had a very pleasant, kindly face that l hadn’t really noticed before.
He was an excellent actor as was Nigel Hawthorne and Alan Rickman.

Clive Swift was as henpecked in this, as he was by Mrs Bouquet in ‘Keeping Up Appearances’!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

28-03-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Yes ST, Alan Rickman's tone and his way of delivering words keep you transfixed and mesmerised.
He was the perfect Obadiah Slope...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top