Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 08:17 AM

State pension scandal …

State pension scandal: OAP income dwarfed by rising cost of living - report

"CAMPAIGNERS reacted with fury yesterday after figures revealed more than a million pensioners are living below the breadline - the highest number since 2012.

Almost one in five pensioners are struggling to buy food and clothes after paying their housing costs last year, it was found.

The data comes as speculation mounts that the triple lock on pensions is set to be cut, with the UK economy battling to repay the costs of Covid-19.

The basic state pension is £137.60 per week for men born before April 6, 1951, and women born before April 6, 1953. For people born after those dates, the new full state pension is £179.60 per week – but to qualify you need to have paid more National Insurance contributions than for the basic pension."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...ion-NPC-report

Could you live on the minimum state pension, as shown above in bold text?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:23 AM

Re: State pension scandal …

I have to live on mine.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:29 AM

I want them to change the laws so that you can catch up on missed N.I contributions. Being out of the workforce for 7 years due to illness, means I missed out on making payments, but for some reason I can't catch up on them.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:40 AM

The State Age Related Benefit should be abandoned and replaced with means tested Benefits. It is WELL past its "sell by" date.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
State pension scandal: OAP income dwarfed by rising cost of living - report

"CAMPAIGNERS reacted with fury yesterday after figures revealed more than a million pensioners are living below the breadline - the highest number since 2012.

Almost one in five pensioners are struggling to buy food and clothes after paying their housing costs last year, it was found.

The data comes as speculation mounts that the triple lock on pensions is set to be cut, with the UK economy battling to repay the costs of Covid-19.

The basic state pension is £137.60 per week for men born before April 6, 1951, and women born before April 6, 1953. For people born after those dates, the new full state pension is £179.60 per week – but to qualify you need to have paid more National Insurance contributions than for the basic pension."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...ion-NPC-report

Could you live on the minimum state pension, as shown above in bold text?
That is why means tested additional benefits are accessable BUT if you own property, have savings or investments you should liquidate those as a source of cash to live on. Why should tax money be given to us when we don't need it? Especially as it is young people trying to bring up a family who are paying us when we don't need it having resources we are just sitting on like Smaug?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The State Age Related Benefit should be abandoned and replaced with means tested Benefits. It is WELL past its "sell by" date.
Does that suggest that, after a lifetime of paying in, Seniors can't take anything out?

Might work if those earning wages, and with Company Pensions, could opt out of the system altogether.

Or if those who are capable of working, but chose not to, are denied access.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 10:54 AM

That is why means tested additional benefits are accessable BUT if you own property, have savings or investments you should liquidate those as a source of cash to live on. Why should tax money be given to us when we don't need it? Especially as it is young people trying to bring up a family who are paying us when we don't need it having resources we are just sitting on like Smaug?
I would have thought that those people would have opted into Private Pension schemes.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

23-06-2021, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Does that suggest that, after a lifetime of paying in, Seniors can't take anything out?

Might work if those earning wages, and with Company Pensions, could opt out of the system altogether.

Or if those who are capable of working, but chose not to, are denied access.

You, me, and others have paid into NOTHING. There IS no state "Pension Pot".
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

23-06-2021, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I would have thought that those people would have opted into Private Pension schemes.
Many / most of us bought our houses, have property such as jewelry, a car, savings etc. Those things should be liquidated before ANY tax payers money is made available to them.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

23-06-2021, 10:58 AM

You, me, and others have paid into NOTHING. There IS no state "Pension Pot".
You're playing with words!

The Gov takes money off us - There is a state pension.

Forget the word "Pot" - that's in Harbal's topic!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top