Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 04:21 AM

Modified Shade Tent

I originally bought this tent to attach to the side of my camper during wet weather but in the event I solved the problem a different way. So now what do I do with it?

It is designed to attach to the rear of an SUV and provide shade and accommodation when travelling.

Years ago I constructed an awning for use on the side of my car but when this tent was free I wondered if it could be modified to provide shade and privacy when needed

This was my original awning and one which will still be used most of the time - quick and easy to attach.

The new structure not only provides shade but it is also an ensuite tent, kitchen as well as wet weather shelter.

I sewed a C section tape to the edge of the new tent so it could use the existing awning fixture.

I can access my fridge from inside the tent. The way that door opens is the reason I cannot use one of the more convenient awning available on the market. My kids have a batwing and a more conventional awning attached to their cars.

and it doesn't interfere with the solar panel on the roof.

Not sure how much it will be used but it was only $119 (on special) and at least this ensures it can be used.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180715 013 Car Awning Fitted.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	16069   Click image for larger version

Name:	210625 004 Dune RV Shade Tent.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	16070   Click image for larger version

Name:	210625 011 Dune RV Shade Tent.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	16071   Click image for larger version

Name:	210625 007 Dune RV Shade Tent.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	16072   Click image for larger version

Name:	210625 015 Dune RV Shade Tent.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	16073  

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:10 AM

Re: Modified Shade Tent

It looks good and practical - I admire your inventiveness, Bruce.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 06:54 AM

Looks good ...clever chap.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:44 AM

I used to have an Isuzu Citation. it had 3/4 and 1/4 rear door.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:08 AM

Great things those awnings, we had one when we had a touring caravan and it virtually doubled the amount of living space, invaluable.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I used to have an Isuzu Citation. it had 3/4 and 1/4 rear door.
You have my sympathy, released as the Holden Jackaroo here it was overweight and underpowered. The Dmax is a ute rather than an SUV you'd want the MU-X
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-06-2021, 08:47 AM

I wanted one of these awnings but the canopy's gull wing doors make it too hard to fit so I had to go down a different route.

My son has one fitted to his Ute but his canopy has sliding windows. they are so easy to put up, every other car seems to have one these days.

My daughter's Jimney has a batwing awning that goes round three sides of the vehicle but they cost a lot.

Barry is quite right though they make a lot of useable space especially providing shade from the hot sun.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I originally bought this tent to attach to the side of my camper during wet weather but in the event I solved the problem a different way. So now what do I do with it?

It is designed to attach to the rear of an SUV and provide shade and accommodation when travelling.

Years ago I constructed an awning for use on the side of my car but when this tent was free I wondered if it could be modified to provide shade and privacy when needed

This was my original awning and one which will still be used most of the time - quick and easy to attach.

The new structure not only provides shade but it is also an ensuite tent, kitchen as well as wet weather shelter.

I sewed a C section tape to the edge of the new tent so it could use the existing awning fixture.

I can access my fridge from inside the tent. The way that door opens is the reason I cannot use one of the more convenient awning available on the market. My kids have a batwing and a more conventional awning attached to their cars.

and it doesn't interfere with the solar panel on the roof.

Not sure how much it will be used but it was only $119 (on special) and at least this ensures it can be used.
Looks like it's even got its own washing line Brucy ?
But where's the kitchen sink ??🤗🤗

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 05:44 PM

Well done Bruce!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:10 PM

I like it Bruce. Your update looks better suited to windy weather as well!
Another option could have been making a toilet/shower with your awning
Nice tidy handiwork

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top