Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 07:06 PM

Re: Snails

Originally Posted by Westender ->
Its too late Tiffany, a bit of a bee in the bonnet as they say...although I wouldn't touch marine molluscs with a barge pole unless I was completely and utterly convinced they were safe, especially filter feeders. I bet they'll be having a banquet this weekend on the south coast if you get my drift.

The only snail I liked was this one. He made me a lot of money. Was sad about Redrum not winning though.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 07:12 PM

I actually had each way bets on both horses. Amazing how upright jockeys were on race horses in those days.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I tried these once. Because you had to swallow them whole and not chew them, it all seemed a bit pointless to me! All I could taste was the vinegarette you had to douse them in, and the sea!
Just for general interest, you do not need to swallow them whole, you can, and in my opinion, should, chew them. Also, they are infinitely better when dipped in a cocktail sauce that you make right at the table. (ketchup, horseradish, squeeze of lemon juice, tabasco sauce)

When I lived in The French Quarter of New Orleans, 50 years ago, raw oysters on the half shell, were a regular part of my weekly diet. Nothing better than ice cold, freshly shucked oysters right before your eyes.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:52 PM

You can eat all the ones in my garden, in revenge for all my plants they've noshed!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2020, 12:07 PM

I've never been to France or Portugal, but I've had snails a couple of times in posh restaurants in Britain
Years ago I had a girlfriend who loved them, so I tried them, but didn't particularly like them
I've nothing against the fact that they're snails, I just thought they were overrated; like little dried, rubbery mushrooms smothered in grease and garlic

Same goes for mussels, cockles & whelks, just tasteless and pointless
I have yet to try oysters, but I can't say I'm desperate to do so
I suppose I might try them one day if they're put in front of me, but I haven't missed them for 70 years

But if other people do like snails, oysters, etc., then fair enough
Isn't an Irish breakfast supposed to be oysters served with Guiness?

I have seen the comment that - 'eating oysters is like having angels copulating on your tongue'.

Search Google and YouTube and there are suppliers of snails, and methods for cooking them

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top