Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 02:26 PM

Liberation of Auschwitz

It is the 75 th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz on Monday

This is the story of some of the child survivors told by the grand daughter of one of them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...ant-to-survive
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Re: Liberation of Auschwitz

That brought tears to my eyes. It was a miracle they survived. I hope we & Germany in particular never forget what happened to the Jews in the war & learn from it..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 03:22 PM

Same sentiments from me. Thank God, we will never see such a horror ever being allowed to happen again in our lifetime. It defies belief that one madman could give such an order and others meekly followed it.
I don't blame modern Germany's people for Nazi Germany's murder of 6 million Jews in the 40's, but my goodness. it is a dark shameful stain on their country's past that they have to live with.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Same sentiments from me. Thank God, we will never see such a horror ever being allowed to happen again in our lifetime. It defies belief that one madman could give such an order and others meekly followed it.
I don't blame modern Germany's people for Nazi Germany's murder of 6 million Jews in the 40's, but my goodness. it is a dark shameful stain on their country's past that they have to live with.
I'm with you on that.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 05:18 PM

I remember watching Pathe News, at the pictures, when the liberation of a number of camps was shown.

I would have been, about, 8 years old.

Never have forgotten what the victims looked like.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 06:18 PM

My late husband visited Auschwitz when serving in Germany in the 60's and found it a place with a terrible atmosphere, complete silence no birds no insects.

I guess the passage of time has allowed nature to return but it will remain a place haunted by history and a salutary reminder to all of the extremes of human cruelty
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 07:08 PM

My son went last year it changed his life . He tells me I should go I tell him I just couldn't I feel it would break me if I saw it with my own eyes the horrors of man's inhumanity to man women and innocent babies and children . Unbelievable that a father mother grandparent could actually do these things . I just cant think about it . Pure evil
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My late husband visited Auschwitz when serving in Germany in the 60's and found it a place with a terrible atmosphere, complete silence no birds no insects.

I guess the passage of time has allowed nature to return but it will remain a place haunted by history and a salutary reminder to all of the extremes of human cruelty
Hi

It remains the same as regards the lack of birds, a very eerie place to visit.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 11:38 PM

I have not been to the concentration camps but I have worked with very elderly holocaust survivors with dementia. They were only young or children when they went through it. Some of them were the only survivors from their family of origin. I only had to see the horror in their faces when they experienced flashbacks or triggers to the memories they had buried all their lives in order to survive. That was heart breaking enough. I managed to keep it together but the thing that made me just break down and cry was when we visited the Jewish Museum in Sydney. There is a whole floor dedicated to the holocaust. THere is one sculpture that is simply a clay representation of a big pile of little shoes. The shoes of children piled up after they were ordered to remove them before entering the gas chambers. An image that will haunt me for the rest of my days. I think I'm as brave as the next guy but I don't think I could cope with Auschwitz.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I do because there are plenty of people in Germany with the same views as their grandparents. Many decades of re-education have led to a resurgence in the same right-wing ideology.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top