Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Re: Tinned/Packet Food

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
According to a recent press item, it seems the queen likes to partake of the occasional Fray Bentos tinned pie during a flight.

Given the scare mongering re food shortages after Brexit, I find myself wondering if I should perhaps stock up on some tinned/packet groceries.

What, if any, store cupboard items can you suggest?
I don't mind a decent steak pie but the tinned Fray Bentos variety are not to my taste. You even have a problem getting the lid off.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Absolutely.
Why the panic anyway? Does the OP know something we don't?
The latest scaremongering article -

THE Operation Yellowhammer no-deal contingency plan will affect Britons differently according to their referendum vote. Here’s how:

Food shortages:
Remainers will struggle to obtain their pampered elite staples like quinoa, sourdough, and milk. Brexiters can continue to enjoy honest staples like Fray Bentos pies, tins of all-day breakfast and Ben Shaws cherryade without fear of rationing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 05:45 PM

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	queen-elizabeth.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	10658  
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 05:48 PM

Love it, LD!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 06:29 PM

I have always got at least 12 cans of Tuna in Springwater for Coco in case there is a shortage, being that is all she eats.

I also have Tin Red Salmon for myself.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:10 PM

What a load of old cobblers!
I can guarantee if you nip down to your local farm shop or supermarket there will be loads of nourishing food available. If there are shortages it we be quite fun to try something different.....Only fussy eaters will struggle....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What a load of old cobblers!
I can guarantee if you nip down to your local farm shop or supermarket there will be loads of nourishing food available. If there are shortages it we be quite fun to try something different.....Only fussy eaters will struggle....
escargot, sauerkraut, bockwurst,

... yum
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
escargot, sauerkraut, bockwurst,

... yum
Like I said d00d, 'Fussy Eaters!'.......
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 09:37 PM

I used to have their minced beef and onion pies. Cut off the lid, stick it in the oven then watch the top go nice and crisp but then see the horror that awaits, soggy everywhere else. The meat tasted good, i wouldn't have had them otherwise but no matter how long i left the pie in the oven, the base and side were always soggy. The only time the base and sides cooked as they should do with a pie is when i over cooked it and the top was burnt to a crisp and the meat was burnt also. Then for some reason the supermarkets where i lived stopped selling them and I've not eaten one again for approx 15 years.

As for the stock issue coming from the usual 'Project Fear' suspects, Those who control the food distribution chain will not allow stock to be an issue because they know full well what will happen. Control's at the border will be increased which will of course cause a delay BUT whichever food distributor gets their produce to the stores first will be the one the public will be flocking too to get their goods. Do you honestly think that the big 3, Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury are going to allow either one of them to get stock in before they do, knowing they could potentially lose millions in a few days just because the public went to a competitor that got the stock in first, no of course they wont.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 10:48 PM

I can live on simple things like eggs , baked beans on toast , baked potatoes , soup , and take a multivitamin if necessary .

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top