Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 09:59 AM

Best treatment for verrucas

Grace has the dreaded verruca from swimming pool I believe. Lots of over the counter things these days anyone know which is best ?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Re: Best treatment for verrucas

My grandchildren had the same problem some while back, their father was advised not to bother with over-the-counter 'cures' but to use duct tape, yes that tape used for a whole variety of things! Apparently cutting off the oxygen to the verruca stops it growing. The tape had to be changed a few times due to it being difficult to keep on and with baths, showers etc. but it did work.

More information on this link too, if required:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...erruca-or-wart
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:17 AM

Thank you baz I prefer to use something that is slightly less corrosive than some of the creams and gels so that sounds like an excellent idea, got some in the cupboard too !
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 01:03 PM

Banana skin. Some say it doesn't but I found it did, after years of using commercial products.

Sounds daft, but it works. I had been back and forth to the podiatrist , with, all the different bazookas and nothing worked to get rid.

So cut a piece of banana skin, tape it on (the inside of the banana skin against the verruca ) and leave over night.

Keep doing that. Should see an improvement within a few days. Stubborn things aren't they ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56hDG1lY8GU
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

01-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Banana skins well I wonder who first found that out ? it'll either be the enzymes in it or like duct tape cutting off air supply I guess.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Duct tape was a waste of time for mine, as it kept slipping off.

Yes, something in the banana skin, potassium I think.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 04:51 PM

I would just leave them alone and let them heal. I got one a couple of years back at the pool, I always wear flip flops on my feet now, going to and from the changing rooms and in the showers. Never had any more bother since.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 08:33 PM

I think this is what Baz meant, Julie.
It explains a bit more here:

Duct tape

This method involves placing a small piece of duct tape on the verrucas for several days. If the tape falls off, replace it with a fresh piece. After 6 days or so, remove the duct tape and soak the verruca in some water.

Your treatment may take several weeks, depending on the verruca. Make sure to remove the bandage if you have one on and wash the verruca with soap and water once a day. Also, you can use a pumice stone to wear down the wart before trying any of the home remedies – some people claim the stone to be one of the best ways to get rid of a verruca. Verrucas and corns on the feet are not usually painful, but they are contagious, so don't share the stone or any of these items listed with anyone else.

I am just exploring a write up on the use of Apple Cyder Vinegar, but give me a mo please.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 08:46 PM

Here is the info Julie.
Too long to copy out, so giving you the link to read instead.

https://www.goodzing.com/remedies/ta...reat-a-verruca

Personally, I think I'd get it removed professionally by the nurse or podiatrist, but it's up to you of course.

Just as an aside, I got rid of Warts on my elderly dog with Dandelion sap once, but you have to keep at it, and don't let them lick at it.
I have heard the furry lining of Broad Bean pods work too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:36 PM

My son had a verruca many, many years ago when he was at school. The school nurse sent him to the doctor at the surgery who froze the verruca and it disappeared in no time.

There weren't all these home treatments around in those days though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top